• Register Today It's free!

Headlamps on the new 2011

CTMom

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfield County Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Hello. I'm planning on ordering my new 2011 X probably by next week. Actually I have a hold on one coming in. I'm still deciding on what color I want. Sterling Gray or White Platinum. My question is, about the headlamps. I really want HID headlamps, but you can only get them if you get the 302A package which includes Active Park Assist, BLIS, Adaptive Cruise & Collision Warning and rain sensing wipers. I will not use one of those features, especially the park assist. I can park my '06 Navigator with my eyes closed!! HA HA! Anyway, do you think I will be able to eventually switch out the lights easily enough to the HID or do you think the casings will be totally different that I won't be able to. I don't know enough and nobody at the dealership will tell me for sure. Thank you! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can go to fordparts.com and see the prices for the HID headlamps, it is a different housing from what I can tell...and doesn't look like it will be a cheap job, can you change them though, absolutely, you can change everything on your car with the right parts and some cash.

but I could be wrong you may not need to buy the whole new assembly. I am going to pick up my new Ex in about 1 hr. Only base model, but I will be changing alot of things once aftermarket stuff starts to filter out, the first thing thats gotta go is those hideous wheels though.

The first thing I did was change out the stock bulbs with some silverstar ultras. The access is quite easy, so installing an HID kit would be totally doable. Obviously, OEM HIDs are the way to go, but I hate the idea of having to add tons of packages for something that should be a stand alone option.
I have a xenondepot kit on my accord, and I've been very happy with it.

The first thing I did was change out the stock bulbs with some silverstar ultras. The access is quite easy, so installing an HID kit would be totally doable. Obviously, OEM HIDs are the way to go, but I hate the idea of having to add tons of packages for something that should be a stand alone option.
I have a xenondepot kit on my accord, and I've been very happy with it.
The first 2 things I usually do on my vehicles is 1, add those small convex stick-on mirrors onto the outside mirrors and 2, replace the OEM bulbs. My 2011 will have the HID lights but I think that even those can be upgraded. The ones I used in the Highlander were the Philips X-treme Power bulbs. The first one burned out after 16 months. I have heard that some of those using the Silverstars had them burn out within a year but I can't speak from experience.

The first 2 things I usually do on my vehicles is 1, add those small convex stick-on mirrors onto the outside mirrors and 2, replace the OEM bulbs. My 2011 will have the HID lights but I think that even those can be upgraded. The ones I used in the Highlander were the Philips X-treme Power bulbs. The first one burned out after 16 months. I have heard that some of those using the Silverstars had them burn out within a year but I can't speak from experience.

I've had silverstars in the past, and their longevity was less than stellar. I didn't know if that was a widespread issue, or if I just happened to get some bum bulbs. Hopefully these will last.

I just wanted to thank all of you for your input. I really appreciate it. I think I'm going to go with the 302A package after all. It's not that much more and if I want to change out those housings, it's going to cost a lot more and probably never be the same. They have a Sterling Gray one coming in soon so I can see the color. Once I decide between white and gray, I'll place my order.

Well, should a kit for the new Ex's bulb fit in the new X? Why buy from Ford? Get aftermarket HIDs.

17" wheels.

usranger80 said "the first thing thats gotta go is those hideous wheels though."
I would consider buying your OEM 17" rims, not interested in the tires though, if you are looking to get rid of them. Enjoy the new ride. I haven't got mine yet.

usranger80 said "the first thing thats gotta go is those hideous wheels though."
I would consider buying your OEM 17" rims, not interested in the tires though, if you are looking to get rid of them. Enjoy the new ride. I haven't got mine yet.

I am sure willing to sell them once I get new ones. The factory wheels market value is 244$ a wheel, which is f'ing ridiculous. How much would you be willing to pay for all 4?

Back