• Register Today It's free!

Opinion on the new Explorers

coldfox

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
What does everyone think of the changes to the 2011 Explorer? I do not like the idea of a uni body frame and now it's more like a car and smaller. I liked the older models where they handled like a truck and could take off roading. Not sure I would want to take this new one on very rough terrain.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had mine up 4 tower sites in western PA. It handled the rutty, rocky trails with ease (in Rut mode). My only issue was fearing that I'd scratch it & rip off the air damn (has the tow package).

It's no F250 with solid axles, but I like it better than the 2004 & 1996 era models.

What does everyone think of the changes to the 2011 Explorer? I do not like the idea of a uni body frame and now it's more like a car and smaller. I liked the older models where they handled like a truck and could take off roading. Not sure I would want to take this new one on very rough terrain.

Love it. Wouldn't have bought it if it didn't have a unibody and rode more car-like. Previous Ex's were unrefined. You want a truck, you should buy a truck...or a Jeep. Great move on Ford's part!

smaller? i feel it looks like the biggest explorer to date... looks longer and wider.
and i happen to like the looks... a cross between a landrover and bmw x5.
and the interior... very refined and car like which is good compared to previous gens.

it's not just looking bigger, it is bigger- it's huge.

As for the unibody, it's worked well for the Grand Cherokee. It was the correct decision.

the ford edge has a higher ground clearance (7.9) then the explorer i just found that out

smaller? i feel it looks like the biggest explorer to date... looks longer and wider.
and i happen to like the looks... a cross between a landrover and bmw x5.
and the interior... very refined and car like which is good compared to previous gens.

Definately bigger.
only about 5 inches shorter than a Tahoe.
It makes my 2003 Montero Sport look tiny.

Park it next to a Gen II!

Back