headlight adjusting (aiming) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

headlight adjusting (aiming)

Hi Guys,
I just adjusted the headlights on my 2000 Sport. O Reilly auto parts got me a tool just for the job of reaching the adjuster down the rear of the headlight. It is made by Lisle in the U.S.A. and it has a ratchet head. The upper adjuster was easy, just used a 4.5mm socket on it with a short extension. One of my headlights had popped off the lower ball stud which was the main alignment issue. I used the garage door method to get a rough adjustment starting point and then fine tuned it at a parking lot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Correction to my earlier post....the socket size for the headlight adjuster screws is 4mm, not 4.5mm! The set I have was from Advance Auto parts.

If it is star-shaped, as most headlight adjusters screws I've seen are, then it requires an external Torx/star socket. They are sized in "E" numbers. You can get a cheap set at Autozone or most other auto parts stores. They are handy to have.

2nd gen EX, as well as many (if not all) Fords of that era use a simple 4mm hex. On some cars (like my Crown Vic) one of the adjusters is in a tight spot, and requires a slim ratchet like this http://www.amazon.com/Tools-5529A-H...sr=1-2&keywords=ford+headlight+adjusting+tool or the 90 deg drive tool shown in a previous post here, but just about anything of the correct size will fit the EX.

If it is star-shaped, as most headlight adjusters screws I've seen are, then it requires an external Torx/star socket. They are sized in "E" numbers. You can get a cheap set at Autozone or most other auto parts stores. They are handy to have.

I think it's a 4mm

Yeah it's something super tiny (thanks Ford, more tools to buy). I remember my '93 Z28 had something simple to adjust the headlights and even had little bubble-levels built into the headlight assemblies.

Back