• Register Today It's free!

headlight adjusting (aiming)

millican

Reaction score
City, State
Savannah, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Limited
My 1998 Explorer Limited's owners manual says I can adjust the headlights using the built-in aiming system. It pictures a bubble level for both vertical and horizontal adjustments. Looking under my hood there are no bubble levels to be seen easily. Are they hidden or is this a feature not installed in 1998?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't believe they have the "bubbles" - atleast I've never see any on Explorers

bump for millican; would really like to know as well.

My right headlight might as well be non-existant it's facing so far left

the bubbles are BS.
Well, mostly. I mean unless you park on a flat level surface they are worthless.

What I do is pull up to a fence, or wall or what have you. Park at a 90 degree angle to the wall, back about four feet. Both lights should be about three feet up. They both should lean slightly to the right.

I understand you members saying that Explorers doen't have the headlight aiming bubbles. I do have a level surface to use it if I had it.

I am question the owners manual now. Here's a scan of the section mentioning the vehicle headlight aiming device.

VHAD.jpg

I flipped through my Chilton's manual and they claim that the head light aiming method depended on the headlamps that are installed and didn't give anything specific.

Of course it also says that the headlamps should never need to be adjusted. :rolleyes:

I've never seen one with a level on a 2nd gen Explorer.

It's quite simple: Park it on a flat level piece of concrete in front of a garage door. Open the hood and flip open the plastic cover over the offending light. There is one adjuster screw that sits vertically about 1/3 of the way in from the outside edge, and another horizontal screw about the middle vertically, towards the center of the vehicle. The one mounted horizontally controls the side-to-side movement, and the one mounted vertically controls the vertical movement.

Now, before you move the light, stick a piece of masking tape to the wall/door to mark the top edge of the beam. That way, you can see where the beam was and where you've moved it to. Adjust the screws until you're happy with the beam pattern, and be careful to not blind oncoming traffic. As you back away from the door, both beam patterns should get lighter, but should also drop. If they stay level, or move up as you back away, they're too high and blinding oncoming traffic.

-Joe

My second gen has screws with a head that looks like it needs a socket. No regular screw driver will work here.

My second gen has screws with a head that looks like it needs a socket. No regular screw driver will work here.

What size is the head of the screws??

the socket size is something really tiny. not even the smallest 1/4" socket i have (which i've never had too use for anything in over 40 years) even came close to fitting. i suspect there is some special tool, perhaps with a flexible shaft, for adjusting these stupid screws.

the socket size is something really tiny. not even the smallest 1/4" socket i have (which i've never had too use for anything in over 40 years) even came close to fitting. i suspect there is some special tool, perhaps with a flexible shaft, for adjusting these stupid screws.

Yeah i don't have anything that small either. I've searched the net with no good answer.

Yeah i don't have anything that small either. I've searched the net with no good answer.

it's probably something you'd have to buy off a tool truck, like Snap-On or Matco.

Edit: i just did a search and found this tool on ebay for about $17, but i'm not 100% sure it's something that would work... Lisle 14540 http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/kDIAAOxy-WxTEjar/$_12.JPG

it's probably something you'd have to buy off a tool truck, like Snap-On or Matco.

Edit: i just did a search and found this tool on ebay for about $17, but i'm not 100% sure it's something that would work... Lisle 14540 http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/kDIAAOxy-WxTEjar/$_12.JPG

It says its 4mm. I wonder if i can find a socket that size?

It says its 4mm. I wonder if i can find a socket that size?

i may have a 4mm open end wrench that i can try to see it it fits the head, but 4mm doesn't seem like it would be small enough... ? the tool may only be for newer Fords.

Edit: my smallest wrench is 5.5mm. it seems to me that's the smallest metric socket i've seen in the auto parts store.

that looks similar to the special tool you used to have to use to remove Ford electronic ignition modules. well for $6 it's worth a try. let me know if it works.

Will do...

I have a midget socket set that contains a 4mm
socket, so they are indeed available. In looking
through my loose sockets, there's also a 4.5mm,
5mm, 5.5mm, and so on...

I had bought a cheapie Stanley 1/4 drive deep socket set at WalMart many years back for $6; the smallest socket in the set fits the headlight adjusters. Set has both SAE and Metric sizes from tiny to 1/2" / 12mm

Bill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back