Headlight reflectors | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlight reflectors

Anybody know of any replacement headlight assemblies.. Perhaps the "crystalline", multireflector kind found in newer cars, or at least something that is condusive to better light output? To put it bluntly, the stock headlights, well, suck. But I'm sure you all know that. Just curious if anybody's found something like this on the net.

Thanks!

JH
95 EB - 127K miles
K&N Filtercharger
Borla Cat-Back Exhaust
Edelbrock IAS Performer Shocks
No performance lighting (yet).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i don't want to sound stupid, but what's APC?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

APC is a company that makes many aftermarket accessories, in this case the taillights. they also make a few performance accessories, but mostly for show, billet stuff, etc.

omg.. I was looking over the crystal eyes headlight pages last night.. I want some SO BAD! I was thinking it would look so awesome to have crystal headlights, turns and rears.. I swear.. i'd pay nearly $500 for a set of em.. we need more companies that cater to the explorer.. they all seem to make stuff for the focus and the F-150 and stuff.. the explorers getting left out...

btw, in a few minutes I'm going to call autoaccessory and double my LED order, I figured I'd try and put them in my turn signals too, I don't like the orange...

What's the website for the Crystal Eyes? Are we talking about just corners or headlights too??

theres a picture of some for the F-150/expedition on www.autosyndicate.com you'll know it when oyu see it, its for both turns and headlight lenses, but unfortunatley they do not make these for any of us in the explorer world yet :(

these are cool!!

bigef150db.jpg

problem is we need to bug the manufacturer of them to make em for our explorer.

I think it would look great if they made it 1 peice.. IE, the huge '95-up turn signal and headlight assembly as one nice crystal peice.. and just some plain red tails that are crystal red with a paintable surrounding, sorta like the mustang has ;) thats what I want.. the clears look good, but a red light would be nice N legal

Re: sorta

Originally posted by Anime4x4
Well..its not aftermarket, but I have seen a FEW (VERY few) 95-98 models with factory "Euro" style headlamp lenses...meaning the lens was clear (with 3 or 4 horizontal lines in the lens)and I believe it was some sort of reflector lens design..but with an "open" (unsheilded) bulb...very good for a factory setup. Perhaps you can try Ford for these, or scour the junkyards...like I said tho, they seem pretty few and far between..combine these with the PIAA bulbs and youre set. good luck.

Is anyone sure these can be ordered from Ford? I need to replace my headlights, and I am willing to spend the extra $$$ to get what I want. Also, how do you purchase the PIAA's on the group purchase. Has it passed? Are Hella 100/80 good, or do they not even come close to the PIAA's?

What type of headlights do the Escalades have? those look f'ing awesome!

The 2001 Mercury Mountaineers come with a "crystal lens"....it looks much better than the milky explorer lens.

moun_g_e_image4.jpg

indeed, but you cannot fit those on a standard explorer :( as far as I know anyway.... and even if you could.. no clear corners.. so it wouldn't be worth it IMO ;)

I've been toying with the idea of getting a whole 98+ Mountaineer grille and headlight setup from a junkyard or something and seeing if I could modify it to fit my Explorer. I have to wait until the warranty runs out, and I have to get my parents' permission, but other than that, what possible pitfalls are there? I know there is a slight difference in the piece above the bumper and under the grille, but that's no biggie. Anybody know if there are any other huge differences between the 98 Explorer and 98 Mountaineer grilles? I know the headlights themselves can't be transplanted without the rest of the grille. I have looked for threads on this for at least the last 2 years, but none has ever really panned out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I beleive the only major difference is the peice under the grille as you mentioned, and the grille and headlight assemlbies themsevles.. of course there will also be wiring to do, because the 98+ mounty only has 1 3157 bulb.. we had 2 3157s and 1 194. I beleive the turn signal on the 98+ mountaineer is actually the same height and has the same curve.. if I were you and really wanted to get into this.. I'd to go a mercury dealer while they are closed, try and park next to a new mounty, and have a good look stare.. compare everything you can, hell you could bring a tape measure if you wanted. I wouldn't advise it during the day tho.. those salesmen eat potential buyers for lunch at some of those places, especially used car lots :)

Does anyone know the size of the 91-94 headlights? At autosyndicate they have a few of those crystal replacement ones I was wondering if they might work?

those crystal replacements are designed for vehicles with non-halogen headlamps, like in the bronco II, the kind where you replace the entire assembly rather than a snap in bulb. you may be able to rig something like that to work, but itwouldn't look right and woudl most likley take some major work to situate in there.

ive been looking for the 91-94 crystilline headlights also but with no luck, like i said earlier, i have seen the crystill headlights for 93-up ranger(possibly fit in a newer explorer) but have found nothing for the 88-92 rangers(same as 91-94 explorer) with over 4000 members we ought to be able to find enough of us that would be interested in these kind of lights and might be able to find someone to manufacture them, but im just thinkin out loud here

I'm actually suprised we don't have any members that work at places that would be willing to fabricate something for us.. I for one know that if I were a lexan fabricator, and a fellow employee or something told me that nearly 4k people wouild be buying something from me..I'd definatley get busy with production

Back