• Register Today It's free!

Headlight Upgrade

extrememon

Reaction score
City, State
Princeton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Black Explorer XLT
So I've got the bulb spec's down: 9006 for low's, 9005's for high's, and 9145 (H10) for fogs lights.

The problem is I can't figure out what brand of bulb to buy. I've read a ton of reviews and want to stay street legal, not spend a ton, but purchase quality bulbs that will match and not burn out a day later. I'm looking for either hyper white or whiteish-blue look. Any suggestions or reviews would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the folks over at suvlights.com have a pretty good writeup.

I personally have good experience with the Silverstar Ultra, but apparently there is better around.

The biggest thing I have discovered about headlights is - fix the voltage drop at the light housing.

Ive recently just installed both 9005 and 9006 for my truck last week. I went with the Silverstar Ultra's and IMHO theyre excellent. Complete difference between these and the stock ones. They are much brighter and theyre an extremely white light. Definately worth the money to me. I have seen a number of other bulbs and many of them tend to tint the light a blueish color, but not the Ultra's. Would reccomend them. Only 1 problem, I didnt buy them for the fogs at the same time and now they dont match the regular headlights.

i have the silverstars in both my lows and fogs. they are excellent. i have been running them in my cars for atleast 6 years now. cant be beat for the money imo.

i have the silverstars in both my lows and fogs. they are excellent. i have been running them in my cars for atleast 6 years now. cant be beat for the money imo.

Were you able to find the Silverstar Ultra's for fog lights? I can't find them [size 9145 (H10)]

Any other brand recommendations for bulb brands that come in all 3 sizes?

I recommend the Philips X-Treme Power XP lights, I am running them in my Frontier and noticed a difference over the Silverstar Ultras.

Dan

Sylvania does make the Silverstars for the fogs..but not in the Ultra series. I just purchased all 4 bulbs (high beams and low beams) in the Silverstar Ultra series for $40 including shipping on Ebay. I'm just gonna wait till one of my factory bulbs to go out before replacing them all.....just can't see replacing perfectly good bulbs.

I just found the Silverstars for the fogs. They are labeled as 9145 S/T.

I run Silverstar Ultras. I had one go out on me after about 15 months. I went ahead and replaced them both with Ultras again. It would be nice if they lasted longer, but no biggie. They really do put out great light.

Any suggestions on high quality blue-ish tint bulbs that come in 9005, 9006, and 9145??? I'd want to get the Silverstar Ultras, but they don't make the 9145's for fog lights.

Any suggestions on high quality blue-ish tint bulbs that come in 9005, 9006, and 9145??? I'd want to get the Silverstar Ultras, but they don't make the 9145's for fog lights.

you can use a 9005 bulb they fit with a little trim of the bulb tab

now hard at all here is what you have to do obviouslty these are different bulbs but it is the same type of way as step 1
http://www.suvlights.com/information.php?info_id=47

i cant find the how to that tells you exactly which tab to trim but is the same theory hold up the 9005 and 9145 bulb as shown in the picture and you will see which tab to trim

Sylvania Silverstars - Amazing lights. Very bright.

I'm running 4300K HID Low Beams, Silverstar Ultra High Beams (9005), and PIAA Plasma Ion (Yellow) 9005 Fogs. FYI, 9005's will fit down there without trimming anything, or at least they did on mine. And installing 9005's down there puts out LOTS of extra, usable light. I've also replaced the stock headlight housings with Anzo Black Crystal housings... they look GREAT.

Back