Headlights don't work, help please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlights don't work, help please

bonnich

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 1500 HEMI SLT
Last night my headlights would no come on. The day runners where on and when I pull to flash the hi beams they came on, and the fog lights don?t come on. I do have a higher watt bulb in but they have been in for a year and nothing has happed up till now. Does anyone know whats wrong and what it will take to fix it.

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All the lights have different fuses. Even though they're in the same bulb, there are different fuses for the low and high beams and left and right. Check the fuses.

but when i push the lever forward the hi beams don't come on only when I pull it back

If it's not the fuses then it's the actual lever and switch assembly that comesfromyour steering column. The relay for the lights is built into this unit and it is not uncommon for them to fail. Ford gets a pretty $$$$ for these so be wary....It's not too hard to install either, just be patient if you dont do this kind of stuff all the time...

i'm going to see if i can get the dealer to do it for free, i did buy the extended warr

Oh sorry I didnt see it was a 2002, I have no idea about those things, I was talking about pre 96 Explorer's.....

I just assumed since the switch went south it was older, you know what happes when I ASS U ME

no it's a 96 i got it used and got the extended warr

Yup, if it's not the fuses then it's most likely the switch assembly.

My guess is that its the switch. Once my lights wouldn't come on. I let it sit ant then it was fine. Every once in a while tho I have to give the turn signal a good rattling.

thanks for all the help I will look at the fuses when i get off of work tonight

I had the same problem and some how my Radio & Wipers were also involved. Changed the switch on the steering column. Everything works great now.

Back