• Register Today It's free!

Headlights wont turn on.

J'sLilMonster

Reaction score
City, State
Tyler, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer 4x4
I have a 1994 explorer, Eddie Bauer edition. It has the auto headlight controls on the mirror. Today I tried to turn my lights on using the auto lights and everything came on like it should, except the headlights themselves. I attempted to turn them on using the headlight switch and got the same result, all lights on except headlights. I've checked my fuses and relays and the are all good. Could this be a problem with the headlight switch or something deeper?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pull the headlight switch and look for burnt wires, corrosion. there is also a relay under the dash behind the ashtray for the "autolamp" feature.

With the headlights off or on, I'm able to pull the dimmer switch back towards me and turn the high beams, low beams and fog lights on at the same time. Which shows me the bulbs are all still good. Having said that, would the relay behind the ash tray be blown?

Remove the lower plastic piece that covers the steering column, At the multifunction switch find the red/yellow wire and test it with the headlight switch on, it should show battery voltage. If the wire shows battery voltage the problem is in the multifunction switch then test light green/black(high beam wire)and red/black(low beam wire) to confirm, if not the problem is in the headlight switch, Remove the headlight switch and test the heavy brown wire to make sure your getting power from the main fuse panel under the hood.

I'm not having this issue. I'm experiencing dimming of my headlights. I've tested the charging system (alt/batt), checked the relays/fuses and even changed the bulbs. Last night, I installed new sockets (the retaining clips were worn out). Still can't find the cause. I'm aware that the multi-switch can cause this issue and have planned on purchasing a replacement when about but I can't find the ground to clean it. Please advise.

Back