Headliner base material?. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headliner base material?.

Mike65

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
In my garage working on one of our vehicles.
City, State
Horsepasture, Virginia.
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Ranger 4x4, 99 Sport.
I removed the headliner from my wife's 99 Explorer Sport to try to find a couple water leaks, & I figured while it is out to recover it since it has some water stains. I watched a couple videos on you tube of newer Explorer's & Sport Tracs & it looks like after the headliner material is pulled off it is fiberglass under it. I am wondering what the headliner base material is on a 99 Explorer, it looks like a pressed board?.

I removed the headliner from my wife's 99 Explorer Sport to try to find a couple water leaks, & I figured while it is out to recover it since it has some water stains. I watched a couple videos on you tube of newer Explorer's & Sport Tracs & it looks like after the headliner material is pulled off it is fiberglass under it. I am wondering what the headliner base material is on a 99 Explorer, it looks like a pressed board?.
Mine looked like that too.... some fiberglass composite material.....no real strength or density --couldn't even hold those sagging headliner repair clips ...

I think I am going to try to clean the water stains from the headliner & see what it looks like after I am done.

Back