Heated Seat Doesn't Work (Driver's Side Only) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heated Seat Doesn't Work (Driver's Side Only)

I can see why the dealer removed the seat for troubleshooting/installation. Even the dealer manual is pretty convoluted. Here is the location of the driver's side airbag connector, C3051. Was able to easily find the passenger one, C339 via the search function, but had to peruse the diagrams to find this one.

Bah, I'm getting errors while trying to upload files again.
Get that code read, and I'll know where to focus my effort.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can see why the dealer removed the seat for troubleshooting/installation. Even the dealer manual is pretty convoluted. Here is the location of the driver's side airbag connector, C3051. Was able to easily find the passenger one, C339 via the search function, but had to peruse the diagrams to find this one.

Bah, I'm getting errors while trying to upload files again.
Get that code read, and I'll know where to focus my effort.
Thank you for your efforts to try to help me.

I checked the DTC codes and there are no codes stored.

Okay, sounds like a different problem from mine. You say the lumbar heat still works, just not the bottom heat?

Okay, sounds like we can rule out fuses.
Full troubleshooting by the book requires de-energizing the seat's airbag system, removing the entire seat from the vehicle, and using a scan tool to run diagnostics or clear codes after servicing. If you're interested in a great tool for modern vehicles, I'd consider purchasing the OBDLink MX... for $80, I've been able to troubleshoot/reprogram my vehicle and give two coworkers their trouble codes in as many weeks. It works on all modern vehicles after 1996, I believe, and has enhanced support for Ford/GM.

I've attached some PDFs from the shop manual and can provide more if you specify what.
Sorry I don't have any input on how to streamline things, but I can share what the shop manual says.

It could be:
Loose connector
Seat cushion TED (Thermoelectric Device)
Blower motor failure or airflow restriction
Seat temperature sensor

I'm going to go run an errand. Read that over, and I can get back to you with the pin-tests for troubleshooting.

Attachments

• Removing Seat Cushion TED.pdf
    179.6 KB · Views: 225
  • Removing Seat.pdf
    192.7 KB · Views: 213
  • Depowering SRS.pdf
    217.2 KB · Views: 686
  • Removing Seat Cushion Heater Mat.pdf
    222.7 KB · Views: 204
  • Exploded View- Front Seat.pdf
    399.3 KB · Views: 458

Thanks. See if I can figure it out what’s going on.

Forscan will read the DTC and also allow you to test some modules. It might be easier to use this to do the basic testing before taking the seat out.

Which forscan do you recommend for use with iPhone?

Back