Heated seat kits installed - NICE! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heated seat kits installed - NICE!

Nice install. I may have to try this out for the van.

How long have you been waiting for that one? :p:

Should I get the four-seat set for the Stupid Duty? :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bob, how hard was it to get the bottom seat cover off the frame? I need to re-pad my seats- the seatbacks look fairly easy, but the bottoms look harder because of the retainer clip thingies that hold the leather/fabric stretched to the frame... Any tips?
I did Ranger seats so my experience may not relate directly to your seats. Two things made mine difficult: (1) a cable and knob for the mechanical lumbar adjustment and (2) the "tilt and slide" mechanism that lets the seat slide forward to the steering wheel for access to the area behind the front seats. I don't know for sure but I don't think Explorer seats have those.

In any case, I think you'd need to separate the seat cushion from the back by removing the pivot bolts. Mine would have been much more difficult (impossible?) otherwise.

Do they turn off on a timer or do you have to maually turn them off? The factory heated seats in my LS turn off automatically after like 15 minutes.
There is no timer. Mine come on with the ignition provided that the heater switch is also on.

Any special tools needed for the seats? i.e. hog rings and pliers?
How are the covers attached?
Should you completly remove the seat from the truck?
I'm looking to do this to my 01 sporttrac I'm assuming most Ford seats are assembled very similar....

I'm looking to do this to my 01 sporttrac I'm assuming most Ford seats are assembled very similar....

Gloves and pliers
Attached by hog rings butyou replace them with zip ties
Much easier to work on them out of the truck

Estimated time truck to truck, 4hrs for the first one, 3 hrs for the second (includes wiring)

Anyone wanna join me so we can take advantage of the "buy 3 get the 4th free" deal? That breaks down to $112 for both seats that way. (instead of $150)
I'm sold and wanna do these on my ST.

I can tell you about my Ranger buckets and hopefully most of it would apply to yours.

My seats have no hog rings, just plastic runners along the sides of the bottom cushion. I removed the seats and separated each seat from its back. I don't think I could have done it otherwise.

The cover and foam are attached together where the side bolsters meet the center panel. The attachment method is via some plastic tubes that looked to be glued or attrached in an industrial strength Velcro-like manner. I chose to leave the foam and covers together and worked the heater fabric down in the pocket between the tubes, being careful not to fold it. There was just enough width between the tubes to get it in.

The only "speciallty" tools I used were a couple of Torx sockets.

Anyone wanna join me so we can take advantage of the "buy 3 get the 4th free" deal? That breaks down to $112 for both seats that way. (instead of $150)
I'm sold and wanna do these on my ST.

Damn, I just bought a pair a few days ago

I tried talking my dad into a pair and another buddy of mine......

I would but I already promised a buddy of mine that I would go in with him when he was ready.

Very nice Bob, I like those switches also.

Got mine done this fall and have been loving them!

Redneck heated seats

If you want to do this very cheaply, heres how. You need basically 2.5-3 ohms of resistance to make a heater. About 22 ft of 30 AWG wire will do the trick. I got it from powerwerx.com. Higher AWG wire will need less feet, but the tradeoff is its more delicate. I would estimate the original wire that failed in the lincoln was 34AWG.

The best wire would be teflon coated but I've used the insides of cheap telephone wires(you measure the resistance first). Be aware that Teflon though has a higher melting point. Then you snake the wire or get a big eyed needle and weave it into the foam or seat fabric.

I've repaired heated seats this way, with a system that already has a thermostat. I'm thinking now of doing it to my ex with no heated seats. Adding a device like this under pad: (I would put two for a backup)

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-Temperature-...|66:4|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:200

You can also put the seats on a 10 minute timer like the defroster.

And a relay or so could make for a very cheap solution to hot buns!

Here is where I got the idea: (they are the heated seat OEM).

http://www.wet.de/index.php?L=2&id=87

Look at their "products" for more ideas.

To add: They are also known as disc thermostats. Here they state they are for auto seat heaters:

http://www.tod.com/productdetail.asp?ProductID=2

SO, Does anyone know if a 2007 eddie bauer would be pre-wired for heated seats? even if it doesent currently have them.

How did you power them? exactly. did you go to the fuse box? is there an acc wire that one might tap into?

thanks,

Know it is an old thread, but anyone have details on where you hook these up to?

Back