Hello ALL!!!!

bzmotoninja83

Reaction score
City, State
Hopewell, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
99Explorer XLT
Hello All,

I recently acquired a 99 Explorer XLT. 4.0 SOHC 4x4. I picked up this gem for $450, needing a transmission. I already had a 5r55e(or so I think, details below). I had already picked up the trans for my 98 Ranger because I thought it was bad. Turns out it wasnt but, I figured I'd rather have it and not need it.

Anyways, on to the detials. I started the process of removing the trans fromt he Explorer today. A friend of mine helped and got covered in trans fluid removing the transfer case. WHOOPS.
Every exhaust bolt that we have touched has snapped or stripped. Expected that.

The starter was the worst starter I have ever removed. Converter is already unbolted, etc.

Details on the transmission I picked up. The guy I got it from, says its a 5r55e. Whatever year it came from, is the one without the dipstick. I hope the trans is the same because, the large plug in front of the gear selector looks like it might be different. The one thats in my driveway has a round plug thats flat horizontal to the body of the trans. The one I pulled off of the Explorer today, is set at a 90deg. I didnt have the smarts to use my phone camera to inspect the rest of the plug, will look tomorrow.

Well..... It appears that I may have to come to a hault. The trans I bought, has that funky fill plug thing on the bottom. The filter is way different than what a 99 has and, I think the bell housing looks different. I may have bought a v8 transmission 6 months ago. its been rebuilt tho so, i got that going for me. :(

Back