Hello, I'm a Newbie! Ready to purchase PIU, but need to be educated... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello, I'm a Newbie! Ready to purchase PIU, but need to be educated...

NeanderRick

Reaction score
City, State
Jasper
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Corvette Z51 Coupe
Hi,
I've been doing lots of reading here, but there is still so much to learn. I have two close friends who have both bought PIU's from Jacky Jones in Cleveland, GA. and I will probably buy mine from there as well as I live in North Ga. I'm a HAM radio guy and volunteer with ARES and local Citizens Fire group. I've been seriously looking at models between 2016 and 2021. So here's my first set of "Newbie" questions...

1. Is there any consensus as to what year is the favorite, or are better or worse for radio folks like me who will have two or three antennas, and a full console of radio heads, scanners, GPS, etc...? (Between 2014-2021)

2. Is there any engine option that is preferred or problematic, or other mechanical option that I should either avoid like COVID, or fight like crazy to get.

Thanks in advance, you guys are clearly the most trustworthy hands-on source of experience available!

Rick

Hi,
I've been doing lots of reading here, but there is still so much to learn. I have two close friends who have both bought PIU's from Jacky Jones in Cleveland, GA. and I will probably buy mine from there as well as I live in North Ga. I'm a HAM radio guy and volunteer with ARES and local Citizens Fire group. I've been seriously looking at models between 2016 and 2021. So here's my first set of "Newbie" questions...

1. Is there any consensus as to what year is the favorite, or are better or worse for radio folks like me who will have two or three antennas, and a full console of radio heads, scanners, GPS, etc...? (Between 2014-2021)

2. Is there any engine option that is preferred or problematic, or other mechanical option that I should either avoid like COVID, or fight like crazy to get.

Thanks in advance, you guys are clearly the most trustworthy hands-on source of experience available!

Rick
Welcome to the group Rick> I know you'll find a lot of good information here and a very high signal to noise ratio. (I'm a HAM too) We'll have to get together sometime, I see you are pretty close to me.

Welcome to the group Rick> I know you'll find a lot of good information here and a very high signal to noise ratio. (I'm a HAM too) We'll have to get together sometime, I see you are pretty close to me.
Cool beans, I monitor the HortaCom Network on alternate Sundays, maybe I'll catch you on the radio.

Back