Hello to all!!! Egr vacuum headache!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello to all!!! Egr vacuum headache!!!

98CAMounty

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento Cali
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD 5.0
Hello guys im new to the forum but ive been using it as a great source since I bought my 5.0 mounty a year ago.

I tried to post this in troubleshooting but could not possibly because I have a new account? Anyway My 98 5.0 has an issue where I am havung constant vaccum at idle to egr which causes misfire, stumbing, and very rough idle. Its smog time and I need to figure this out quick as I get lean and misfire codes with egr hose from solenoid connected to egr. With the hose disconnected it runs great which has caused me to leave it disconnected while I fix the issue. I have installed new dpfe,solenoid, and have tested egr which holds pressure and is in working order. Anyone experienced anything like this? Thanks everyone glad to finally be a member!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have replaced crankshaft sensor , camshaft sensor,sychronizer,tps,dpfe,erg,solonoid,passenger exhaust manofold,pcv,have k and n cone, cleaned maf, smoke tested through brake booster line no vac leaks.

Any help would be appreciated guys?

I can't help, other than I moved your thread into the 2nd Gen forum.
Should get more views here.

If you are convinced that the solenoid is not stuck open, the problem must be in its control. The solenoid has +12V at one end (the Light Blue/Orange wire) and is activated by the PCM grounding the other end (Brown/Pink control wire). I would suggest probing both wires with ignition on. Both wires should be at +12V, indicating that there is no current flowing through the solenoid. If you see +12V on the LB/Orange and close to 0V on the Brown/Pink, the solenoid is activated. It could be a failure of the PCM, but those are rare. More likely in that case the Brown/Pink control wire has a short to ground somewhere. If memory serves, the harness going in that direction is supported by a bracket, just next to the DPFE. I had a problem with that bracket cutting through the insulation and, in my case, grounding the IAT line. Worth a look. Good luck!

Hello guys im new to the forum but ive been using it as a great source since I bought my 5.0 mounty a year ago.

I tried to post this in troubleshooting but could not possibly because I have a new account? Anyway My 98 5.0 has an issue where I am havung constant vaccum at idle to egr which causes misfire, stumbing, and very rough idle. Its smog time and I need to figure this out quick as I get lean and misfire codes with egr hose from solenoid connected to egr. With the hose disconnected it runs great which has caused me to leave it disconnected while I fix the issue. I have installed new dpfe,solenoid, and have tested egr which holds pressure and is in working order. Anyone experienced anything like this? Thanks everyone glad to finally be a member!!!

Thank you very much for the reply I will double check the wiring once again witg my multimeter. I even tested the solonoid hooked up to a vaccum guage while driving down the road and it did increase in vacuum pressure as I accelerated like its supposed to except instead of dropping down to zero psi at idle it would hover around 5 psi. Any chance timing could throw the PCM off and cause it to apply vac at idle ? I just thought that maybe I didnt get top dead center like I believe I did while installing my camshaft sensor and sychronizer. Thanks again!!!

Oh and yes it is mounted to a bracket that connects to the intake manifold where the dpfe connects. I will report back any new findings. Thank you!!

I kinda feel like an idiot but I had Solonoid vac hoses backwards problem solved... Thanks again!! Now on to my P0174 headache can this thing ever just be code free im starting to think its impossible...

Back