Help. 2001 ST thermostat replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help. 2001 ST thermostat replacement

JonnyBGood

Reaction score
City, State
MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Hey guys. New to the forum. I hope you guys can help. I'm trying to replace the thermostat on my 2001 Explorer Sport Trac. I've removed the air induction housing and even the throttle housing, but I can't get to the 2 bolts in the back of the thermostat housing.

Do I have to remove the entire plastic manifold in order to get to the thermostat housing bolts in the back? Do I need the hands of a 5 year old to get to those bolts? If I do have to remove the manifold, are there any tricks to it? I see about 6 bolts at the top of the manifold, but I don't see anything else. And if I do have to remove the manifold, does that mean I have to go get another gasket to replace it?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which engine do you have? I'm assuming it's the SOHC. If so, I did this a few months ago on mine and I didn't have to remove the intake manifold. I used a 1/4 in drive socket wrench and somehow managed to get a good grip on the bolts. Good luck.

I doubt that the 2001 is much different than my 99 SOHC truck. I got all three of the bolts out with a little effort, and the right sockets and extensions. The throttle body shouldn't have to come out either, the EGR pipe was the most in the way on mine.

FYI, do replace the rubber seal for that housing, they often will leak if reused. Good luck,

Sorry, it is the 4.0 SOHC engine. You used a 1/4" socket wrench and got in there? Hmmm I guess I have the 3/8 with the 1/4 adapter. That's why I can't fit my socket in there. I'll go and buy a new socket wrench set and see if I can get in there.

Did you have to remove the throttle body in order to get your hands in there?

I doubt that the 2001 is much different than my 99 SOHC truck. I got all three of the bolts out with a little effort, and the right sockets and extensions. The throttle body shouldn't have to come out either, the EGR pipe was the most in the way on mine.

FYI, do replace the rubber seal for that housing, they often will leak if reused. Good luck,

I did get a new o-ring for the housing, so that's not a problem. I just can't figure out how to get to the back right bolt.

Got it replaced guys. Thanks for all of your help. Now, let's hope that it fixes the issue where it starts to overheat when driving, but not while idling.

Agreed, I hope that helps. These trucks have extremely good cooling systems. If you ever overheat then there is really a problem. Look hard at the fan clutch, that is hard to discover going bad. Good luck,

Agreed, I hope that helps. These trucks have extremely good cooling systems. If you ever overheat then there is really a problem. Look hard at the fan clutch, that is hard to discover going bad. Good luck,

That fixed it guys. I took it for a decent drive today and the temp gauge is stable around 40%. Got it up to 65+ for about 15 minutes and it never went above 40%. So it was a bad thermostat.

Got to flush the cooling fluids too, but at least this eases my mind.

Thanks again.

Very good, that's good to hear. Regards,

Back