HELP...4WD quit even after servicing the shift motor!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP...4WD quit even after servicing the shift motor!?

shocker91

Reaction score
City, State
Evansville, In
Year, Model & Trim Level
"91 eb
My '91 EB pushbutton 4WD stopped working. No relay sounds in back, the shift controller module tests don't even light the red bulb. I removed, cleaned and tested the shift motor on the orange and yellow wire/pins and it seems to be working. Pulled a junker's shift module to try it and it also doesn't work or light the red bulb (could also be bad I suppose). Also tried a junker's pushbutton with no change. The last test I tried was to turn the shift motor to 4hi and manually turn the transfer case rod to 4hi and put back and see what happened...the truck was then in 4hi but couldn't get it back without reversing the test manually. Any thoughts on where to go next? Why no light on the controller...bad controller...twice??

sounds like you do not have power to the control module,check your fuses and wiring for short.
Most of the diehards here convert to manual shift transfer cases and manual hubs.
Joe

Back