Help!! 911!! 95 to 98 axle swap

Fish Man

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
Hey guys. ok well not really an emergency but im stuck with a half taken apart truck until i find out the answer. grabbed a set of junkyard axles geared in 4.10 to swap in to my truck since I've got 3.55s and 33s. We did the swap on the 8.8 and it went great, but when we got into the front end (with Jefe's great write up) I realized the axles aren't identical. My 95 has a thing (for lack of a better term) on the passenger side of the housing with 4 wires coming out of it. The 98 has no such provisions. What is this thing and do I need it? If not what do I do with the wires on it? Help!! Can try to provide more info if needed but assume someone will know what I'm talking about...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is a vacuum disconnect for the axle. You can swap the new axle in no prob. Just follow the vacuum lines and reroute them so there will be no leak with that unplugged. Then you can just tie up the electrical connector (if there is one, can't remember).

Awesome, thanks for the response! Why does the older one have it and the new one not?

that is how the 95 and 96 acheived true 2wd. You may lose 2wd, but i doubt it. the programming in the Gem should also be different to keep the clutch from going active in the 2wd setting.

It is used to help gas milage / rolling resistance to the front. When it has no vacuum it is unlocked allowing the inside stub shaft to free spin the opposite direction so that just the inside spider gears turn instead of the whole ring and pinion.

Hmm...is that bad? Or should I not be concerned?

Hmm...is that bad? Or should I not be concerned?

You will be just fine. Your front drive shaft will be turning at all times now so if you feel a little extra vibration at highway speeds that's what it is. Might be a good time to do front u-joints if you can.

I understand now, thanks so much for the quick replies guys!

Back