help 92 misfire after changing head gaskets | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

help 92 misfire after changing head gaskets

lindsey pettit

Reaction score
City, State
jamestown, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 explorer
Callsign
n/a
So my bf is a mechanic but doesnt specify in fords well he did all the gaskets because it was dripping water out the exhaust pipe and he wanted to catch it early before it got bad. Its nrver been over heated its got 89,000 original miles anyway he put everything back together ans only on pass side had spark plugs and wires it started right up n ran grate 30 sec later he remembered he forgot to hook up driver side he did that n misfire after misfire after misfire and the plugs on that side r black we did the top part of motor what could b wrong he said he thinks its bottom end of motor now please help me

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could have fouled the plugs or crossed the wires, it's easy enough to do. the connector for the coil pack may not be fully seated also.

So my bf is a mechanic but doesnt specify in fords well he did all the gaskets because it was dripping water out the exhaust pipe and he wanted to catch it early before it got bad. Its nrver been over heated its got 89,000 original miles anyway he put everything back together ans only on pass side had spark plugs and wires it started right up n ran grate 30 sec later he remembered he forgot to hook up driver side he did that n misfire after misfire after misfire and the plugs on that side r black we did the top part of motor what could b wrong he said he thinks its bottom end of motor now please help me
Yea he checked the spark plugs n wires there fine and its still misfireing

if the plugs and wires are ok, it could be an issue with the coil pack or icm. are there any codes?

icm= ignition control module. located behind the battery on the radiator support. you can use a paper clip or jumper wire to get codes from the check engine light. see if there are any codes first then see if all 6 towers on the coil pack put out spark.

icm= ignition control module. located behind the battery on the radiator support. you can use a paper clip or jumper wire to get codes from the check engine light.
Oh ok. So My bf redid the hole wire system according to the manufacture diagram and it worked ;) thank u a lot apparently we had the one spark plug wrong the whole time. Now i know why we always had trouble starting n stalling my bf is gunna do a test drive n were gunna go get grocerys later n ill keep u updated thank u

fantastic! easy fixes are great, aren't they?

fantastic! easy fixes are great, aren't they?
Yes after he spent a week n half doing head gasket n backyard with it in the truck with just a socket wrench. He had to re due the intake a few times we still need intake cover gaskets but he sealed it with some gasket sealer for right now

Back