Help! AntiLock and Brake lights on-can't find problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! AntiLock and Brake lights on-can't find problem

Oldman

Reaction score
City, State
raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Sport, 94 XLT
92 Explorer Sport - Rear only antilock brakes. I'm at the end of my rope. My 92 Sport's antilock and brake lights have been on for awhile now and have just about replaced everything in the system. The brake control module, antilock brake valve, blead the entire brake system, checked the resistance on the rear axle sensor and cleaned it. Have checked for voltage at the antilock brake valve and it has around 1.5 to 2 volts on 3 pins and 5 volts on 1 pin. Ever since this light problem has started the brakes have worked fine except the rears will lock up if you nail the brakes. Also have pulled the fuse for the control module and the brake light will go out but not the antilock light. Unplug the control module and both lights go out. I want to keep this 92 and would like to have everything working properly. I have two Explorer Sports, a 92 and a 93, and have decided to sell the 93 since it is has a standard transmission that my wife and daughter do not want to drive if their vehicles have a problem. Has anyone out there had this problem before or know of a solution to it? I could just unplug the module and say the he...with it, but I do not care for the brakes locking up and flatspotting the tires. I would really apprciate some help on this one.
Thanks, Oldman
92 Sport - 132,000 mi
93 Sport - 123,000 mi

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll be watching this one, as I have a '93 sport that my son drives that has some breakes issues. His anti-lock breakes pulse the first 1 or 2 stops of a trip, then the anti-lock idiot light comes on, and from that point on, he has standard breaks that you can lock up if you push hard enough.

My other Explorer, a 93, has the somewhat the same issue. Every once in a while you can feel the antilock come on at a regular stop, or sit a stoplight and the the light will come on and not go off till the vehicle is shut off and restarted. The 93s have 4 wheel antilock and the problem is more than likely in the wheel sensors or in my case the antilock valve in the left front of the engine compartment. I would like to find out how to get the trouble codes with out going to the friendly Ford dealer and paying an arm and a leg to have them read it. If you find out how to do this, let me know.

ABS light on (93 EB Explorer 4WD, auto)

My ABS idiot light comes on intermittent. Shut off ignition, restart, light goes off. Took it to a mechanic all codes/test show no history, no problem. Can't figure it out. When light comes on I lose anti-lock. Light goes out restores anti-lock.

My ABS idiot light comes on intermittent. Shut off ignition, restart, light goes off. Took it to a mechanic all codes/test show no history, no problem. Can't figure it out. When light comes on I lose anti-lock. Light goes out restores anti-lock.
And you have smooth breaking in both modes?

ABS Light

Yes, the vehicle stops smoothly. But if I need to make a sudden stop I feel all wheels grab instead of ABS when light is on. I can tell the difference between the braking response. When the light is off I get normal braking with ABS response if neccesary. By biggest concern is what's causing that light to come on and knowing that when its on I don't have ABS function.

i was told that there was a sensor in the rear diff that could be causing your problem?

ABS sensor

Yep. I heard that also. So I replaced it. It didn't fix the problem.

ABS Diagnostic

I spent $85 bucks for a diagnostic that showed no code history. Told it wasn't the wheel sensors... could be the rear diff sensor, so I replaced it. No difference. Now the master mechanic thinks the ABS control unit may be losing pressure/wearing out. Hmmmm. Really big ticket item. I guess I could just disconnect the light.

I have a 91 that has an ABS light on now after a complete brake job. It brakes perfectly but I cannot figure why the light stays on. I haven't a complete evaluation, I'll be watching this for ideas.

MY 93 does it when the brake pads in the front are low! or if the rotor is a little warped. it did it with me for a while and i replaced everything on the system with no luck then i replaced the rotors and pads and problem was fixed and light was off.

Back