Yellow Rear Antilock and Red Brake lights on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yellow Rear Antilock and Red Brake lights on

Padiano

Reaction score
City, State
Dothan, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I just had the brakes done and now these lights are on. The dealership says it’s not their problem. I’ve seen the sensor suggestion, but that’s only when the Rear Antilock light is on. Any suggestions?

F33A9992-FD58-4CE4-9CF4-FFA6CF611F11.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked the brake fluid level since you got it back? Low fluid could cause the lights to come on.

I have checked the fluid and it’s fine. I also replaced the sensor on the rear diff. Any other suggestions?

Also the parking brake is not engaged

Does the parking brake THINK it’s engaged? Does it think it’s low on fluid? As far as I know the only think that should light the red light is the parking brake or the fluid being low in the reservoir.

Check the switches. Reservoir level would be the easier, so I’d start there.

Your parking brake has a switch on it. Sometimes they get stuck in the "on" position. Spray some WD40 or other lube up there and depress the electrical switch button a few times. You'll have to get on your back on the floor board to see it. Had one do this to me and that worked perfect. Good luck.

Kirk

The parking brake mechanism consists of a lot of little springs and connecting pieces that will rust and fail. I had my parking brake seize up because it wouldn't disengage and almost started a vehicle fire -- when I pulled over it was smoking like hell and stunk like burning brake shoes. I ended up cutting the cable and drove without a parking brake for a couple years before I finally ponied up, got all the parts from eBay and had the local (only) honest mechanic replace everything for a couple hundred bucks. You should get someone to put it on the lift and make sure its disengaging and if it isn't, cut the cable and just leave it in gear when parked till you can get it fixed. My $0.02...

Back