Help: Automatic headlight feature not turning on tail lights or instrument lights! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help: Automatic headlight feature not turning on tail lights or instrument lights!

mjs61084

Reaction score
City, State
cincinnati, oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 limited
Last night, I got into my 2002 explorer and the automatic headlight feature turned on the headlights as it normally does, but I noticed the instrument cluster lights weren't on. Then I noticed the tail lights weren't on either. I manually turned the lights on and everything came on. I've checked every fuse hoping to find a blown one, but nothing. Any advice would be helpful....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First of all, welcome to the forum. :salute:

Assuming the headlight switch was in the auto position, is it possible that the Daytime Running Lights (DRL) were on and not the headlights?, thus indicating a problem with the headlight switch itself?

My explorer doesn't have daytime running lamps. I always have the selector in the auto position. I messed around with it today and while it's running, in the auto position, the headlights are off....put something over the sensor on the dash and the headlights come on, but the instrument panel lights do not come on, nor do the tail lights. Turn the selector to off and everything turns off, Turn the knob to "on" and everything comes on as it should. The auto lights were working up until last night when I got in, it was dark and I noticed the headlights came on but not the instrument panel lights.

Maybe the switch? Don't really know for sure. Sorry. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in. Good luck and keep us posted.

My explorer doesn't have daytime running lamps. I always have the selector in the auto position. I messed around with it today and while it's running, in the auto position, the headlights are off....put something over the sensor on the dash and the headlights come on, but the instrument panel lights do not come on, nor do the tail lights. Turn the selector to off and everything turns off, Turn the knob to "on" and everything comes on as it should. The auto lights were working up until last night when I got in, it was dark and I noticed the headlights came on but not the instrument panel lights.
Were you able to fix the problem? I am having the same issue.

Old post. If it were me, I'd just use headlight switch manually. Maybe it's the switch itself.

Back