2013 rims on 2003 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 rims on 2003 explorer

bears75

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Limited
I just put 2013 explorer rims on my 2003 limited explorer and wanted to make sure I didnt screw up.

The 2003 had P245/65/R17 and the 2013 are P245/60/R18. Everything fit and drives good but wanted to make sure there will be no long term issues. I know I should have researched this first but after reading a few places I figured I should check.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to those who respond!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just put 2013 explorer rims on my 2003 limited explorer and wanted to make sure I didnt screw up.

The 2003 had P245/65/R17 and the 2013 are P245/60/R18. Everything fit and drives good but wanted to make sure there will be no long term issues. I know I should have researched this first but after reading a few places I figured I should check.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to those who respond!
Which rims are they? What trim did they come from?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/5th-gen-wheels.458136/
From this thread, apparently it shouldn't be possible

Im not sure exactly. He said it was a 2013 explorer and a buddy of mine looked them up and said they would fit. I bought them and we put them on without any issues so far. The bolt holes lined up perfectly. I just wanted to make sure long term there wouldn't be any issues.

They are the stock wheels on a 2013 XLT Explorer.

:popcorn:

Please read the above referenced post...

:feedback:

Im not sure exactly. He said it was a 2013 explorer and a buddy of mine looked them up and said they would fit. I bought them and we put them on without any issues so far. The bolt holes lined up perfectly. I just wanted to make sure long term there wouldn't be any issues.

They are the stock wheels on a 2013 XLT Explorer.
According to specs, the 2013 rims center hole bore shouldn't allow it to fit over the 3rd gen Explorers hub. This would cause the rim to not sit flush against the hub. Can you post a picture of the rim with it mounted and the center cap off? So we can see the hub fitting inside the rim?

20170219_175558%201_zpsj9ix9oza.jpg
']

Update on my situation. Noticed a clunking sound after a day and the rotors were all loose. The rims were not flush against the rotor. We did not notice this because the center caps were still on when we put the rims on.

There are little "lips" on the 2013 rims that make the diameter smaller. We ended up using an aluminum bit and shaving off the lips of the 2013 rims. This enabled the 2013 rims to sit flush against the rotor and eliminate any issues. The person who did this had a snap on camera which let him look around the inside of the rims and make sure it was flush against the rotor. Everything else was the same specs except for the center hole bore. Hope this helps someone else in this situation.

Attached is a pic of the rims on the vehicle.

Update on my situation. Noticed a clunking sound after a day and the rotors were all loose. The rims were not flush against the rotor. We did not notice this because the center caps were still on when we put the rims on.

There are little "lips" on the 2013 rims that make the diameter smaller. We ended up using an aluminum bit and shaving off the lips of the 2013 rims. This enabled the 2013 rims to sit flush against the rotor and eliminate any issues. The person who did this had a snap on camera which let him look around the inside of the rims and make sure it was flush against the rotor. Everything else was the same specs except for the center hole bore. Hope this helps someone else in this situation.

Attached is a pic of the rims on the vehicle.
They look great, I'm glad they work

Nice looking truck. I have always wanted a white 3G.

I just put my 4th gen 20" rims on mine yesterday.
IMG_0453.JPG
MINE_20a.jpg

I just put my 4th gen 20" rims on mine yesterday.
I really like the aviator mirrors, do you have the LED signals wired up? I just have regular 4th gen mirrors

I really like the aviator mirrors, do you have the LED signals wired up? I just have regular 4th gen mirrors

Thanks. I have the Aviator mirrors fully functional, it was a real PITA though. I actually have a post about that in this forum from a couple of years ago. The signals are regular incandescent bulbs, but I put extra bright bulbs in. All my rear tail lights are LEDs

Thanks. I have the Aviator mirrors fully functional, it was a real PITA though. I actually have a post about that in this forum from a couple of years ago. The signals are regular incandescent bulbs, but I put extra bright bulbs in. All my rear tail lights are LEDs
Did you ever have the canbus error with the LED signals? I had (and sometimes still have) it in one of my taillights

Did you ever have the canbus error with the LED signals? I had (and sometimes still have) it in one of my taillights

No I haven't had issues, I replaced the entire tail light housing with aftermarket. They came with a plug in board of capacitors for each side. For my 3rd brake light, I used a strip out of another vehicle that had the capacitors right on the board. My tail light housings are not the "Euro" style. They actually look very similar to factory until you take a good look, or until you see them lit. I've tried to get some pics of them lit at night, but it's hard to get a good shot unless I take it from an angle...
IMG_0649.JPG
IMG_0646.JPG
IMG_0648.JPG
SIDE (2).JPG

No I haven't had issues, I replaced the entire tail light housing with aftermarket. They came with a plug in board of capacitors for each side. For my 3rd brake light, I used a strip out of another vehicle that had the capacitors right on the board. My tail light housings are not the "Euro" style. They actually look very similar to factory until you take a good look, or until you see them lit. I've tried to get some pics of them lit at night, but it's hard to get a good shot unless I take it from an angle...
Looks really good, I have Spyder brand LED tails, they have the LED cluster with black housings. They look good with my black paint

Back