Help Changing Rear Differential Fluid | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help Changing Rear Differential Fluid

Well i know all about the heavy foot and fast driving. Was the stuff you got (modifier) trans-x?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sweet....whenever it gets the body work done next step is changing all the fluids and such...

My rear differential is leaking. Do they sell a liquid sealer like a transmission stop leak?

don't put that sealer crap in there, do it right the first time,,

I crawled under the truck to get a better look. It's the boot on the axle that connects in to the differential. Is the boot or the axle replaceable? I'm hoping I wont have to replace the whole thing. I got quotes from $1200 to $1700 to rebuild the differential.....

I crawled under the truck to get a better look. It's the boot on the axle that connects in to the differential. Is the boot or the axle replaceable? I'm hoping I wont have to replace the whole thing. I got quotes from $1200 to $1700 to rebuild the differential.....

More likely it's the two-piece seal that's bad. I have the same problem and the fix is a new one-piece seal that Ford developed for that very reason.

Edit: How mechanically inclined are you?

To take the cover off you have to drop the whole pumpkin. It actually mounts by the cover by 2 large bolts from the rear.

I'm somewhat handy. I can change my brakes and I changed the front wheel hub assemblies with a friend. Is it easy to explain?

Thank you for your help. I changed the rear differential fluid with 75W 140 and 4oz's of friction modifier. For the leaking seal, I took a tube of gasket maker and pressed it into the leaking seal. I went for a 50 mile ride and so far no leaks. Tomorrow I will change the front differential fluids. Thanks again.

Reviving this thread rather than starting a new rear diff one...

Is it worth it to take the diff cover off or are same results achievable with a suction gun to get the old fluid out? My rear diff cover and bolts are looking pretty rusted. If I end up taking it off I'll probably replace the cover, but don't want to shell out the cash for all new bolts ($5 each at autozone) going around.

On the note of taking the cover off... I see a lot of people painting them. What's the purpose of putting paint on? Looks or to protect against rust?

Thanks all.

Consider looking into a fill plug with a magnet.

Old thread, but do not remove the cover for a diff fluid change.
Siphon out instead, then refill, using same hole for both.

Back