Help Changing Rear Differential Fluid | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help Changing Rear Differential Fluid

No, it is not possible. Probably why this 8.8 comes with a drain plug from the factory unlike the solid axle 8.8's. The reason you aren't able to remove the cover only is because the cover on these diffs also doubles as a mounting bracket to secure the diff to the frame. The bolts go through the crossmember that is immediately forward of the spare and through two wing-type things that are part of the cover itself. There is also another bolt on the front passenger side of the diff that goes vertically to another bracket.

In order to look inside the diff, you have to remove the diff from the truck. To see what is involved with that, look in this thread; it has pics and it will walk you through removing the diff:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318076

Has anyone pulled the rear diff cover off to drain the fluid/clean out and inspect the gears etc. like you would do on a normal Dana 44 etc? I need to change my fluid, but after driving at highway speeds for awhile, i am getting a very distinct grinding feeling while turning as if all the oil has spun off the gears, but after sitting/slow speed driving around town it returns to normal. I want to pull the cover off and check for metal shavings etc. when i change the fluid but am wondering if its a major PITA...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What about just the gasket?

What about just getting the cover off to replace the gasket? Is it possible to just get the cover off by leaving the axles in and just unbolting the two "wing-type things" bolted to the frame. And then of course the 10 rear cover bolts?

I think I need to replace that gasket, but I really don't want to do all those steps in the link you posted. I realize all of those steps are needed to work inside of the diff, but was hoping that maybe there is enough room to slide the cover out of there, apply sealant and replace for just a gasket fix?

I'm sure this may be more obvious to me once I actually get under there and take a look, I just haven't been able to yet and so far have only been able to see the rear cover coated with fluid by just peaking my head under there.

Thanks for any insight.

I checked my rear diff fluid the other day and when i took out the fill plug a full stream of fluid came out, plus i had the rear jacked up. is this right, should it come out like that or did i get screwed? I bought the 2002 explorer used and when i first got it the rear end made a bad wiening sound so they supposed to have put a new rear end in it. Im afraid they just over fill it to make it quiter. Any ideas?

Maintenance instructions say to fill to the bottom edge of the fill plug opening, so if you're getting a ton coming out of the fill plug with the rear jacked up then they overfilled it.

Actually, you are to fill it to the fill hole, put in the fill hole, take out the rear diff speed sensor and fill another pint (1/2 quart). per Ford shop manual. the diff shouldn't be slam full but it will come out of the fill hole if done correctly.

Actually, you are to fill it to the fill hole, put in the fill hole, take out the rear diff speed sensor and fill another pint (1/2 quart). per Ford shop manual. the diff shouldn't be slam full but it will come out of the fill hole if done correctly.

Interesting. What do the people who have AdvanceTrac (no rear diff ABS sensor to remove and fill thru) do in that situation?

Thanks for the help guys, ill have to check it again, so i shouldnt have over a pint or so comeout of the fill hole?

Interesting. What do the people who have AdvanceTrac (no rear diff ABS sensor to remove and fill thru) do in that situation?

NOTE: For roll stability control (RSC) equipped vehicles, remove the rear wheel speed sensor plug. For non-RSC vehicles, remove the rear wheel speed sensor.

Remove the rear wheel speed sensor.
Disconnect the rear wheel speed sensor electrical connector.
Remove the bolt.

Add one pint of fluid.
Install the ABS sensor and ABS sensor bolt.
Tighten to 27 Nm (20 lb-ft).

straight from the shop manual. NOTE this applies to model years up to 06. 07 and up it is fill to bottom of fill hole.

Thank you for clarifying that Patrick. Looks like I am a little low on gear oil! :thumbsup:

NOTE: For roll stability control (RSC) equipped vehicles, remove the rear wheel speed sensor plug. For non-RSC vehicles, remove the rear wheel speed sensor.

Disconnect the rear wheel speed sensor electrical connector.
Remove the bolt.

Add one pint of fluid.
Install the ABS sensor and ABS sensor bolt.
Tighten to 27 Nm (20 lb-ft).

straight from the shop manual. NOTE this applies to model years up to 06. 07 and up it is fill to bottom of fill hole.

no problem, just making sure the correct info is on here for future explorerforum guys! :thumbsup:

Would this stuff be good to use?

Thanks limited...Thought i saw something about the 85 being a bit too much. How long have you been running it?

I have the 4.6L with the LS rear

Limited is this the one you use?

If not..then where do you buy yours from?

Thanks limited.. I never thought of using the durablend cause the book says synthetic... Do you tow at all?

Do you use ford's additive? or one of the on the market ones?

Anyone??

Thanks limited.. I never thought of using the durablend cause the book says synthetic...>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You are correct, the book calls for "full synthetic" 75W-140. I used the Mobil 1 brand, have no noise from the rear end.

>>>>>>>>>>Do you use ford's additive? or one of the on the market ones?>>>>>>>>>>

You can use either or for the friction modifier for the limited slip diff. Ford's or parts store brand. The one I bought from Advance auto parts came in a 7 ounce tube and cost around $5-$6. Squirt the friction modifier from the tube into one of the gear oil bottles and hand pump it into the diff from there. It's easier than trying to tip up the tube to the fill hole.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks limited.. I never thought of using the durablend cause the book says synthetic...>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You are correct, the book calls for "full synthetic" 75W-140. I used the Mobil 1 brand, have no noise from the rear end.

>>>>>>>>>>Do you use ford's additive? or one of the on the market ones?>>>>>>>>>>

You can use either or for the friction modifier for the limited slip diff. Ford's or parts store brand. The one I bought from Advance auto parts came in a 7 ounce tube and cost around $5-$6. Squirt the friction modifier from the tube into one of the gear oil bottles and hand pump it into the diff from there. It's easier than trying to tip up the tube to the fill hole.

^This

I went to Orielly's to buy the hand pump because they had a better one than what Autozone offered. I believe it cost about $10 and was more than worth it!

I tow very rarely, but I have a heavy foot and drive fast:D

Back