HELP! CV axles want to not seed in after 3” lift with BTF control arms. *Photos Attached* | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! CV axles want to not seed in after 3” lift with BTF control arms. *Photos Attached*

SheldonXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer XLT
I’m just about at my limit with this, I have my 3” spacer lift kit with my BTF control arms installed. Basically, everyone and their mother told me i would be safe and problem free with the BTFs and a 3” lift.

First, my stock CV axles sh*t the bed. whatever, got them replaced immediately. that was 3 weeks ago. Today, I took a right turn and noticed that squeaking sound of the CV joint. I didn’t want to believe it, but i put it on the lift anyways to inspect what’s going on, and behold, my CV axle isn’t fully seeded in and i’m loosing fluid.
I called the shop that did my CV axles to see if i could have them popped back in, and they immediately blamed my lift kit, okay i get it. The lift kit puts a strain on them and at an angle. but i’ve NEVER EVER heard of another lifted explorer having these issues. So now i’m stuck. I paid so much money for this nice lift with the right precautions to make sure everything lasts and now my damn CV axle wants to almost pop out. What. THE. F**K !!!!!!!!!!!
I’m spending most of my day looking for longer axles, or custom fab ones. but it seems like nobody even cares about the explorer. I’m so upset. I really don’t want to take the lift off, it’s the last thing i want to do especially after those expensive control arms.
i’m upset, any help is appreciated to combat this issue.

*photo of left hand axle compared to right hand axle*

50BD4449-B3EC-4DF5-A0AC-7D4B22E0239E.jpeg

A0BCF9CE-252C-4BB1-A508-B64652F3BBCC.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh i forgot to mention when i put it up on the lift to inspect it, it was sticking out more than that. I pushed it back in and tried to hammer it back in but that’s the most i’ll do because i don’t want to mess up my daily. 😒

Sure about the first time CV joint installed they are propertly locked in by NEW retaining ring all the way inside the diff case?

The only way to see the lock ring condition it is to take the diff cover off.

Basically 3 inch lift do not put a much of strain enough to release the joint out from the shaft lock ring

In some cases the new cv-axle with new retaining ring is the problem,
the new retaining ring did not slip in correctly.
I had this problem with new TrackMotive axles and have to use the retaining rings
of the OEM axles.
Some say that the position of the open part of the ring must be on 12 o clock position,
so it get centered. Does not helped me, tried it several times with grease to fix the ring,
no luck.

The retaining ring has to slip through the spider gear, normaly expand and held the splined shaft in place.

retaining ring.jpg

Some new retaining rings have too much preload or too sharp edges to slip in.
If this happens it is not possible to push the axle deep enough into the differential.

I don't know if the lift could cause the axle to slip out, but without pulling everything apart again
the problem will not be fixed..

good luck

Wolfgang

You will know it is seated all the way...TRUST ME.
With it migrating OUT I can tell you what will happen!!!!! it can migrate so far out that the ONLY part of the sline engaged is the little "button" part AFTER the lock ring...then what happens is you will SDHEAR IT OFF....yup...then it rolls around inside the diff (with the ring and pinion gear), Axle will NOT fall out due to it can;t be compressed enough to get out of the bearing. BUT with FORDS infinite wisdom...you have an OPEN carrier,,,well guess what happens when 1 axle no longer is engaged (broken) the truck doesn't MOVE.

BTW great pic there wolfgang!

You will know it is seated all the way...TRUST ME.
With it migrating OUT I can tell you what will happen!!!!! it can migrate so far out that the ONLY part of the sline engaged is the little "button" part AFTER the lock ring...then what happens is you will SDHEAR IT OFF....yup...then it rolls around inside the diff (with the ring and pinion gear), Axle will NOT fall out due to it can;t be compressed enough to get out of the bearing. BUT with FORDS infinite wisdom...you have an OPEN carrier,,,well guess what happens when 1 axle no longer is engaged (broken) the truck doesn't MOVE.

BTW great pic there wolfgang!
so far, i’ve been driving on it because my routes to work are all backroads and i got that triple A lol.

i’ve came across someone on facebook with the same issue, we narrowed it down to it being the aftermarket axles just never sitting right with these explorers. I’ve had no issues so far however, rain, slight off roading, you name it. it hasn’t moved from when that photo was taken!

Still worried the hell out of me though

I have my 3” spacer lift kit with my BTF control arms installed.
You don't have a suspension lift ("only" a Bodylift), so actually you don't need longer axles shafts.
Longer axle shafts are available, but only in usage with a long travel kit (longer upper/lower controlarms).
These shafts are much more longer.

The BTF control arms are designed for a "little" suspension lift, like a torsion twist about 2 inches
or coil-over shoks.

btf.jpg

They are slightly longer to fix the negative camber issue, caused by the camber bolts.
camber bolts.jpg

The axles have inner tripod joints and the shafts normaly have enough space to slide in and out,
independently the inner parts must seated properly into the differential.
In the past i had trouble with cardone axles, but not with fitment but with the resistence/wear.
These are OEM axles and they last for a long time.
DSCN3054.JPG

DSCN3063.JPG

DSCN3064.JPG

we narrowed it down to it being the aftermarket axles
This maybe could be the reason for your problems or the snap rings are not at their place anymore.
Maybe the shop ordered the wrong axles, hope they do not.
Did you get no warranty for this expensive work?

regards

Wolfgang

without getting into too much work....remove said axle NUT usiung a BRASS rod...you can "manipulate" (hammer" the axle in until it seats...you will certainly know when it seats. Yeah this is NOT the BEST practice but yeah ...thats how they aye put in sometimes when they are stubborn.

Back