help- engine wont turn off -not the ignition switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

help- engine wont turn off -not the ignition switch

kirby83

Reaction score
City, State
lafayette, la
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 mazda b2300
I have a 97 mazda b2300 2.3L manual.

I went to the store today and found that I couldn't turn my truck off. I took the key out and engine stayed on. I finally had to stall it and disconnect the battery to get it to go off. Weird thing is that as soon as i reconnect the battery cables lights and gauges all come back on but car will not restart (at least not using the key).

Everything seems to indicate the ignition switch but I replaced that and the problem is still there. As soon as I reconnected the battery after replacing the ignition switch same thing -lights and gauges came on without the key in the ignition.

The only way I can get the engine going again now is to reconnect the battery, (put the key in the ignition in the run position just in case), and run a copper wire from the battery to the solenoid and it started right up (it wouldn't work using just a screwdriver on the solenoid, I needed the power from the battery).

I am thinking maybe its the key cylinder but I am told that the key wouldn't turn at all if that was the case. But the key turns from off to run easily, a little too easily actually, no resistance at all, which is definitely not right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it soundss like its your ignition switch, on mazda, an many others the actual ign assy,, electrical is down near the bottom of the steering column, ,ill look and seeif i can find, let u know,, buck

thanks buck, but I already replaced the ignition switch. It is at the bottom of the steering column but the switch itself isn't the problem unless its something in between the switch and the key lock cylinder. but as far as i can tell everything seems ok in that vicinity but I'm not sure where else to check.

i would say take the ign cylinder out of the equattion, disconnect it in whaterver way u need too,, then engage thru the switch assy itself, see what changes,, mmthere is usually a rod that pushes, pulls the switch, push or pull,, does it do whats its supposed to or not, then if it doesnt look to the underhood solenoids,,, theres aq handfull, buck

This may not be the same issue, but I used to have a 97 Ranger, and if I turned the headlight switch to the left, one click past off, I could remove the key and the engine would stay running!

thanks buck, but I already replaced the ignition switch. It is at the bottom of the steering column but the switch itself isn't the problem unless its something in between the switch and the key lock cylinder. but as far as i can tell everything seems ok in that vicinity but I'm not sure where else to check.
Did you ever figure this out. My truck doing the same thing now

Back