HELP! First day of snow and ABS is doing funny things! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! First day of snow and ABS is doing funny things!

well they answered you allready.. its normal.. my 2001 does it and i have 4 wheel abs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same thing on my '95, only i notice the brake petal moving in and out too, so my guess is, its normal operation. When we got our first car('94 olds 88) we took it in about the abs, we thought somethign was wrong w/it, but it was normal and took some getting use too.
Todd

like i said before, i ad abs on other vehicles but the abs on my ex is virtualy unsafe on snow...hence the 30A fuse sitting in my cupholder.

Glad to hear everything worked out for ya, hopefully it will make drivin in the snow a little safer for you.

That little ABS light drives me nuts to, but I did the same thing you did, electrical tape!!!!!

ATTN OWNERS OF 91-94 EXPLORERS, EURO ALTEZZAS WILL BE AVAILABLE THIS WEEK!!!!!

Dead Link Removed

i have had a set reserved for me and the posting changed last night..so i e-mailed them and asked why..this is what i got:

Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 00:29:44 -0800
From: CustomerSupport@DirectAuto.com | This is Spam | Add to Address Book
To: "Brandon Merenda" <udmsvt@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: euro tail for 91-94 explorer

Brandon Merenda wrote:
>
> i saw that the listing has changed and there is now a
> picture. does this mean that they are now available
> or possibly that they will be soon?
>
> __________________________________________________
> Do you Yahoo!?
> Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
> http://mailplus.yahoo.com

-- They will be available tomorrow. Pricing will be posted in the
morning.

If you have a set reserved, you will recived a link/order email as soon
as it posts. If not, please check back.

One of my friends had a 90 S-10 that had RWAL and every time it iced (we don't get snow in Texas that often) he'd have to pull the ABS fuse other wise the truck would wind up getting pushed through the intersection because it wouldn't allow the rear wheels to lock at low speeds.

Me personally I don't care for ABS that much, I've driven on ice with my old-tech Chevelle and had no problems stopping with it's 11"disc/drum setup, I just threw it into 1st gear and left it, the compression braking was enough to practically stop the car anyway. but even with it in D I rarely locked them up on ice, dry surfaces :D , big sky blue sedan sideways with tires smoking is great for the pucker factor of onlookers, and those poor saps who happen to be too stupid to drive responsibly, (ie. running red lights, stop signs, general mayhem and destruction)

Dunno on the 95 yet, I know the kick in more than I think they do. can feel it pulsing the pedal.

For what it is worth, ABS bracking systems do not activate until the sensors detect a locked condition. The system automatically disengages and rengages the brakes allowing the wheels to spin a small amount. Dynamic friction (non sliding) creates more traction than static friction (sliding). This allows you to have additional grip for stopping and steering.

In 1991 the Explorers had what they called ABS but it was only in the rear and not a true ABS system. They may be like this until 1995, but I know the '91's were. The work truck I drive has ABS and you can lock up the wheels at any time. It is a 1991 Chevy.
For what it is worth, ABS bracking systems do not activate until the sensors detect a locked condition.
Not true. Thats why they call them speed sensors and not locked sensors. Real ABS systems keep the wheels from locking up so you can steer. ABS is more for steering than quick braking.
only i notice the brake petal moving in and out too
Totally normal :)

I'm not saying it's bad on all cars, just the explorer
No, its only the early ones. My 96 brakes like a champ on anything :D

not only is it the early ones, but from my research, 91-92 had only Rear ABS, so 93-94 was kinda experimental. i checked it out and i beleve i have all wheel ABS, while my lady's 91 has only rear ABS (which has also been disabled)

Back