Help is needed for airbag code 24 on a 1996 V6 4.0L E-4WD Aerostar and on a sliding door issue. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help is needed for airbag code 24 on a 1996 V6 4.0L E-4WD Aerostar and on a sliding door issue.

"If the connection between Circuits 614 (GY/O) and 623 (P/W) inside the safing sensor is broken, then the resistor on pin 12 is no longer in the diagnostic circuit explained above. Both resistors are needed to pull up the diagnostic voltage to the correct value. In this situation, the resistor on pin 11 is the only resistor inside the diagnostic monitor pulling up the voltage. Therefore, the voltage on pin 11 will be half of the normal expected voltage and the voltage on pin 12 will be approximately equal to the vehicle charging system voltage. The diagnostic monitor does not measure the voltage on pin 12, 50 the monitor bases its decision strictly on the voltage at pin 11. If the voltage at pin 11 is lower than it should be, the monitor will flash code 24."
Quoted from the diagnostic procedures, it sounds like what you are describing.
Funny you mention this. I read this and it seems to mean that this could be a fault in the control module yet the diagnostic step 24-4 only talks about looking for a short circuit. Do you read it the same was as me. The good and bad news is i have a new diagnostic unit coming...im gonna hook it up just to see if it solves the problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Funny you mention this. I read this and it seems to mean that this could be a fault in the control module yet the diagnostic step 24-4 only talks about looking for a short circuit. Do you read it the same was as me. The good and bad news is i have a new diagnostic unit coming...im gonna hook it up just to see if it solves the problem.
The safing sensor is different than the diagnostic module, The diagram I have shows it near the drivers door.

"If the connection between Circuits 614 (GY/O) and 623 (P/W) inside the safing sensor is broken, then the resistor on pin 12 is no longer in the diagnostic circuit explained above. Both resistors are needed to pull up the diagnostic voltage to the correct value. In this situation, the resistor on pin 11 is the only resistor inside the diagnostic monitor pulling up the voltage. Therefore, the voltage on pin 11 will be half of the normal expected voltage and the voltage on pin 12 will be approximately equal to the vehicle charging system voltage. The diagnostic monitor does not measure the voltage on pin 12, 50 the monitor bases its decision strictly on the voltage at pin 11. If the voltage at pin 11 is lower than it should be, the monitor will flash code 24."
Quoted from the diagnostic procedures, it sounds like what you are describing.
The safing sensor is different than the diagnostic module, The diagram I have shows it near the drivers door.
I read your quote too quickly. I thought you were quoting the text on page 01-20C-33. 4th paragraph which refers to diagnostic monitor. What you are quoting refers to the LH cowl sensor being bad....i.e. answer NO to pinpoint procedure 24-4. Im pretty sure my old unit and the new one I installed is good. Look at the reference I point to above which refers to answer YES and let me know what you think?

there are 3 sensors in the system, 2 crash sensors and the safing sensor. in order for the airbag to deploy, 1 crash sensor and the safing sensor must detect impact. You have ruled both crash sensors and diagnostic module are good.

Ok. I see the problem. My shop manual is different that what you sent me
See page 13 of the file you sent me on SRS diagnostics and compare it to what mi e says..yours talks about the sensor...mine about the diagnostic module.

15582813927881900491262857367014.jpg

My manual has other problems...it also talks about GY/O and P/W wires going to RH cowl side sensor when they actually go to the LH cowl sensor

15582816602312112347082823951539.jpg

Ok. I see the problem. My shop manual is different that what you sent me
See page 13 of the file you sent me on SRS diagnostics and compare it to what mi e says..yours talks about the sensor...mine about the diagnostic module.

View attachment 170486
Yeah, big difference. I think you have an open circuit on pin 11. Pins 11 and 12 are sent out from the diagnostic module to safing sensor and tied together in parallel, pin 11 goes from the safing sensor to the airbag and returns to the diagnostic module on pin 10. What is the voltage on pin 13?

Next time i retest ill let you know. It was lower than i expected...maybe 9 v when battery had 13 v at terminal.

Okay...so the saga continues. Today I noticed that the code 24 only flashes when a/c or fan is running. So I assume there must be a wire from the fan that is shorted to a wire from the air bag diagnostic module. They both run through the main wiring harness 14401. Im thinking it would be way too hard to trace the short given where the wire harness is and the size of it. Any ideas. Also if anybody needs a left cowl crash sensor or a center crash sensor let me know.

Back