Help ! Loose shifter in column. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help ! Loose shifter in column.

very common problem. if it happens again you might want to put some blue thread-locker on the bolts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lower dash panel removed

In reviewing the thread, I noticed several people talking about what a pain it was to get to the bolts. At the time that I had my problem I had the lower dash panel removed for another reason. I really didn't have too hard of a time getting to the bolts so it may be worth dropping the lower dash panel, it does not take that long to do so, and may make the time spent standing on your head a lot shorter. ;)

Thanks

Thanks for the good info here guys. Think it may help me. My 01 Sport has been giving me trouble for 7 months. At first, my wife was having trouble getting the truck to start. Every time she drove it somewhere, she could never get it started again. I thought she was making it up. I never had an issue, until 3 months later when it started happening to me also. I could still wiggle and hold the shifter towards park and get it to start. For the last 2 months, now we have to shift into neutral to start the truck. And we have to be very careful parking on any type of hill also. The shift lever will not physically engage the transmission in park; truck will roll 4-6 feet until the gears in the differential pop and finally catch. Hope the bolts are just loose. Thanks again. This Forum Rocks!

So. On our way back from Maine on Sunday, after about 3 hours of travel I pulled into a grocery store parking lot.
Got in parking spot, put in park. and... the truck kept moving.

Ooops...

Pulled gear shift down... and man, that feels odd. Wow, lots of slop. Put back in park, but indicator isn't SHOWING in park.

Put on parking brake, went in store, came back out and played with it. Of course, had to get in neutral to start. What a pita.

Couple of hours later my girlfriend asked if we were gonna need to take it in.

"Well", I replied. Not til I research on Explorer Forum.

Which I did.

Today, I checked. One screw had fallen out, the other very loose. I had to juggle shifter around to get second screw in, but after I did. Tightened up very snugly.

Shifted PERFECTLY. Perhaps even a little more crisp than I was used to experiencing.

Took a little longer as it was pita, space was tight, had to get the right combination of tools out of my small set.

But, again. Thank you, Explorer Forum. Sincerely.

This worked perfectly for me in my 1999 Mountaineer.

Old thread I know, but I thought it would help...

Back