Help me fix my Click, Clunk, and Rattle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help me fix my Click, Clunk, and Rattle

LVExp

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 5.0 XLT
So after all the work i have done to my X with the help of this forum i am back again with some new problems. This all started today.

Click: At low speeds (at least when i notice it) i hear a click click click noise comeing from i think the drivers side.

Rattle: When im driving at any speed and go over uneven or a bump in the road my front end, mostly the drives side, rattles like its falling a part

Clunk: Right after i come to a stop most times there is a "clunk" that you can feel in the entire car. It feels like drivetrain/transmission not just a small clunk from a ball joint etc.

I just replaced the upper and lower balls joints and outter tie rod ends on both sides and replaced the sway bar bushings.

I have some opinions on what this might be but i want to hear from you experts first.

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your wheel bearings.

So after all the work i have done to my X with the help of this forum i am back again with some new problems. This all started today.

Click: At low speeds (at least when i notice it) i hear a click click click noise comeing from i think the drivers side.

Rattle: When im driving at any speed and go over uneven or a bump in the road my front end, mostly the drives side, rattles like its falling a part

Clunk: Right after i come to a stop most times there is a "clunk" that you can feel in the entire car. It feels like drivetrain/transmission not just a small clunk from a ball joint etc.

I just replaced the upper and lower balls joints and outter tie rod ends on both sides and replaced the sway bar bushings.

I have some opinions on what this might be but i want to hear from you experts first.

thanks

I had a similar rattle on my 5.0L as well....after about an hour of monkeying around underneath it trying to figure it out, turns out a oxygen sensor was loose and made a bad rattling sound, sometimes at idle and ALWAYS right around 1500RPM everytime. So go underneath your X and and just start tapping things with a hammer and see if you can hear the rattle anywhere.

Does the clunk happen after you stopped? On mine, it has the same thing...When stopping and slowing to around 10 MPH it shifts down to first and does a clunk....Its just play in the drivetrain. To confirm, just go underneath and see how much play is in the driveline.

And the clicking sounds....how long has this been going on? Has it gone away and came back at all? As you go faster does the clicking become more rapid and as you slow down more slow? Do you live near any dirt roads? Sometimes little rocks get stuck in the tire tread and make a clicking noise. I know this seams dumb, but this happens to me all the time!! Notice to see if the click happens each time a certain part of the tire has hit the road....

I will start tapping around tomorrow and see what i can find.

The clunk happens after i've stopped.

The clicking started today. It varies with the speed of the car and eventually goes away or i can no longer hear it at higher speeds. No dirt roads. I noticed tonight after posting this that it is happening more when i turn left, so my guess is the driver side CV axle?

I had a similar rattle on my 5.0L as well....after about an hour of monkeying around underneath it trying to figure it out, turns out a oxygen sensor was loose and made a bad rattling sound, sometimes at idle and ALWAYS right around 1500RPM everytime. So go underneath your X and and just start tapping things with a hammer and see if you can hear the rattle anywhere.

Does the clunk happen after you stopped? On mine, it has the same thing...When stopping and slowing to around 10 MPH it shifts down to first and does a clunk....Its just play in the drivetrain. To confirm, just go underneath and see how much play is in the driveline.

And the clicking sounds....how long has this been going on? Has it gone away and came back at all? As you go faster does the clicking become more rapid and as you slow down more slow? Do you live near any dirt roads? Sometimes little rocks get stuck in the tire tread and make a clicking noise. I know this seams dumb, but this happens to me all the time!! Notice to see if the click happens each time a certain part of the tire has hit the road....

Mine clunks on stopping also...havent found the problem yet...

I have a new CV axle on the way to see if that solves the clicking.

I got under it today with a hammer and found nothing loose or otherwise rattling.

So the hunt is still on for all three problems.

Back