Help on 1999 explorer overheating | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help on 1999 explorer overheating

Corben1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
Ive fixed a leak that I had in the thermostat housing, Changed the thermostat, pressure test shows that there are no leaks. New rad cap. No water in oil or oil in water.

I have no clue what else to do, Please help me.
Feel free to ask more questions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ive fixed a leak that I had in the thermostat housing, Changed the thermostat, pressure test shows that there are no leaks. New rad cap. No water in oil or oil in water.

I have no clue what else to do, Please help me.
Feel free to ask more questions.

Need more symptoms...like how fast does it overheat? Idling on startup or after driving? Did you refill and 'burp' the system?

Need more symptoms...like how fast does it overheat? Idling on startup or after driving? Did you refill and 'burp' the system?

It overheats in about 10 minutes of driving, And yes, I refilled and burped

pull the thermostat and go for a test run. If it still over heats then you may have an issue in the rad. Further check to see if your fan is working both at the start and later when things start to heat up.... maybe your fan clutch is going out... maybe.

pull the thermostat and go for a test run. If it still over heats then you may have an issue in the rad. Further check to see if your fan is working both at the start and later when things start to heat up.... maybe your fan clutch is going out... maybe.

or of course the water pump, my pump failed with no leak that I could detect

Did you put the thermostat in upside down?

I have had defective new thermostats twice in the past. Now i always boil 'em in the kitchen before I install them to make sure they open.

I put the thermostat in right.
I will try pulling the tstat today, I will also look at the fan and water pump

When you remove the T-stat and start your test run, look in to the radiator and make sure you see water circulating.

My 2 cents... Did you check the radiator hose to see if it is collapsing when the engine is running? I had this happen to me. The hose showed no exterior signs of wear and was firm to the touch when engine was cool, but when the engine got up to temperature and load was added...the hose collapsed.

Good luck on finding the solution to your overheating issue.

I didnt have time to pull the t-stat and everything yesterday.
I will try to make time today.

Back