Help on what to buy to replace stock stereo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help on what to buy to replace stock stereo

Alex8706

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer Sport
I have a 92 explorer 2 door sport with the stock stereo that says dnr on the cassette.

I want to replace it but I dont have any experience and was hoping to get a little insight. I had to take the trim off to get to it. The back of the stereo has the antenna, a 8 point connector on it and the wiring harness.

My question is is this a single din or a 1.5? Do i have an amp I need to bypass? Which harness do I need and do I need to buy a aftermarket bracket to hold the new stereo in? Also if I do have an amp, what power is it giving out?

I am a probably just going to order everything from amazon so if anyone knows what i need and can direct me to the links via amazon that would be perfect. Not exactly sure what receiver I want to get probably something that is Bluetooth and 75x4.

I've included a quick pick of my stereo if that helps.

20180221_152538.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And to better answer. Single DIN. The 91-92 you will have to trim around the lip of the opening to fit the dash kit. 93 on had it already cut. You will need the amp bypass. That connects to the stock amp behind the passenger side panel just to the rear of the passenger rear speaker. Go to crutchfield order a HU. They will include the harness dash kit & the bypass. Along with detailed instructions. You can even pay them a small fee & they will pre wire the harness for you making it plug in pay at the HU end.

T
And to better answer. Single DIN. The 91-92 you will have to trim around the lip of the opening to fit the dash kit. 93 on had it already cut. You will need the amp bypass. That connects to the stock amp behind the passenger side panel just to the rear of the passenger rear speaker. Go to crutchfield order a HU. They will include the harness dash kit & the bypass. Along with detailed instructions. You can even pay them a small fee & they will pre wire the harness for you making it plug in pay at the HU end.

Thank you! Crutchfield is pretty badass in the sense that they provide everything you need for basically free. Said they didnt have a deck kit for my explorer though. Either way the best and easiest place to get what i need for my audio. Thanks again Jason94sport.

Get the kit for the 93/94 & like I said you need to trim the dash panel to make it fit.

I didn't have to trim the dash trim on my 91 for the stereo...you'll just remove the trim, replace the stereo, and put the trim back over it. It does require you pulling the dash trim each time you remove the stereo, but I have no problems dropping or removing the face...

Also, it's possible you don't have a factory amp...are the two connectors to the back of the factory stereo the same shape, but black and grey, or is one smaller than the other? If they're the same, then you don't have an amp, and any wiring kit that covers a 92 Ford will work.

If you do, you'll have to get a wiring harness for a ford with premium sound, and remove from the harness what you don't need (comes with something like 4 plugs all wired together, and you'll only need 2.

Also, this may help you...when I did my 93 Sport (first Explorer), I pulled the rear passenger speaker to see the amp. I disconnected the plugs, and figured out what wires were what and made jumper wires to connect the plugs (disassemble the plugs, solder wire to the connector pins, reassemble the plugs) to bypass the amp.

But as Roadrunner said, you should be able to find all the answers you're looking for in the audio threads...may take some time, searching and lots of reading, but it's there.

I didn't have to trim the dash trim on my 91 for the stereo...you'll just remove the trim, replace the stereo, and put the trim back over it. It does require you pulling the dash trim each time you remove the stereo, but I have no problems dropping or removing the face...

Also, it's possible you don't have a factory amp...are the two connectors to the back of the factory stereo the same shape, but black and grey, or is one smaller than the other? If they're the same, then you don't have an amp, and any wiring kit that covers a 92 Ford will work.

If you do, you'll have to get a wiring harness for a ford with premium sound, and remove from the harness what you don't need (comes with something like 4 plugs all wired together, and you'll only need 2.

Also, this may help you...when I did my 93 Sport (first Explorer), I pulled the rear passenger speaker to see the amp. I disconnected the plugs, and figured out what wires were what and made jumper wires to connect the plugs (disassemble the plugs, solder wire to the connector pins, reassemble the plugs) to bypass the amp.

But as Roadrunner said, you should be able to find all the answers you're looking for in the audio threads...may take some time, searching and lots of reading, but it's there.

They arent the same. One is square with 8 pins with a big gray line coming out of it and the other is rectangle with the speaker wiring coming out of it.

I have searched the forums before i posted this question but wasnt able to find exactly what i was looking for. I guess i didnt look hard enough. Thank you for the tip about getting to the amp too hopefully ill be able to do the same on my 92 since everyone says you have to tear out your interior basically to get to it. Thank you 5spdman.

The rectangular one will be power and whatnot, the square one is the pre amp speaker outs to the amp...

You may have to undo a few screws to the interior panel and pull it toward the seat, but I also have kinda smallish hands, so I'm able to get back there...I also did that when I was in high school and only weighed a buck 25 if I was clothed and wet lol, so I was pretty scrawny and able to get in tight spaces to work...

If it's easier, and you want to remove the amp, unplug the plugs and if I remember (removed the amp from my 91 XLT as well) there will be 4 7/32" screws holding it in place, same as for the speaker...

Quick look on Google, this may be of interest to you...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Metra-70...26957&wl11=online&wl12=30488872&wl13=&veh=sem

Harness for power, speakers, and an amp bypass harness...

Also, just thinking, keep in mind that the preout wires will be a small gauge wire, and it may be more worth your time to run new wires to each speaker. This could still be done easily without removing body panels...

Back