Help P0442 evap small leak

Mitchs07explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Meridian, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V8 AWD
07 XLT V6
My computer keeps throwing me the p0442 evap (small leak) code. It did this to me a few years ago and back then I changed my fuel cap and fuel filter and it went away until just recently. It popped back on a couple months ago and it's been popping back on about once a week after I reset it.

I've cleaned my gas cap gasket and I changed my fuel filter as it was time anyway and I could swear that was going to take care of the issue but today my cel came back on with the same code. I don't want to take it in and pay for a smoke test, I know I can make a smoke machine but was hoping to avoid that too. Are there any components on the evap system that are known for common failure? Hoping I might just be able to plug and play a couple parts to hopefully resolve my issue. If not, I'll be headed to YouTube for instructions on making a smoke machine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought a smoker on ebay for $80. I'm sure it's cheaper to build one, but didn't want to add another project

I bought a smoker on ebay for $80. I'm sure it's cheaper to build one, but didn't want to add another project
I think I found the one you were talking about, it was the only one on there for $80 and I just bought it. Thanks for the tip, I probably wouldve only saved $20-30 if I made one so this is well worth $80.

Yep, it works pretty good. The issue trying to do it yourself is not having control of the valves. You can send smoke back through the system, but can't close the canister valve.

If your gas pipe is bare metal. Check the rim where the cap seals against. If its rusted, pitted etc that will give you a code since it leaks. Stuff a rag in the pipe and sand with fine emery paper to remove the rough rust off the rim. I did this on a vehicle in the summer and afterwards sprayed the rim area with black rust paint (rag still in !!!). If its winter as here. A coat of oil or grease will keep under control for now.

If your gas pipe is bare metal. Check the rim where the cap seals against. If its rusted, pitted etc that will give you a code since it leaks. Stuff a rag in the pipe and sand with fine emery paper to remove the rough rust off the rim. I did this on a vehicle in the summer and afterwards sprayed the rim area with black rust paint (rag still in !!!). If its winter as here. A coat of oil or grease will keep under control for now.
I'll take a closer look at it, I cleaned the neck and the gasket on the cap but didn't make a difference. Looked in pretty good shape at first glance. Rust wasn't my first thought just because it's typically not an issue in my area.

If the snout end is not painted it will rust and cause a problem. Seen that a few time on Jeep Compass and odd others. Easy to check and run your finger over the edge and if there is anything you'll feel it. Quick to check.

Back