Help! Power Stop Z23-1508 pads do not fit my '14 Explorer Sport front calipers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! Power Stop Z23-1508 pads do not fit my '14 Explorer Sport front calipers

Fasterdamnit!

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
So much for getting a combination of maintenance and upgrades done today.

I purchased front and rear Z23 rotor/pads combo for my Sport as the rear rotors are done. The new front pads are longer than stock and are not as curved. will not fit in the calipers. I have checked online at Powerstop and other auto parts providers. They all call out this part number for this year Sport. The vehicle was mfr'd in 11/2013 so I checked 2013 compatibility and got the same part number.

Anyone else experienced this??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So much for getting a combination of maintenance and upgrades done today.

I purchased front and rear Z23 rotor/pads combo for my Sport as the rear rotors are done. The new front pads are longer than stock and are not as curved. will not fit in the calipers. I have checked online at Powerstop and other auto parts providers. They all call out this part number for this year Sport. The vehicle was mfr'd in 11/2013 so I checked 2013 compatibility and got the same part number.

Anyone else experienced this??
Rotors are also too small. Checking with Summit Racing.

Rotors are also too small. Checking with Summit Racing.
Summit seems to indicate they will fit the vehicle with "Standard Brakes", however the Sport has HD brakes.

Peter

Summit seems to indicate they will fit the vehicle with "Standard Brakes", however the Sport has HD brakes.

Peter
Bingo.
Both front and back sets will be sent back for refund. Thanks.

Bingo.
Both front and back sets will be sent back for refund. Thanks.
Big fan of Power Stop brake systems as I have them on my FJ and "other" truck and was JUST getting ready to order rotors and pads for my 2015 Sport until I saw this post. You said you sent them back so my question is what did you end up going with in place of them?

Big fan of Power Stop brake systems as I have them on my FJ and "other" truck and was JUST getting ready to order rotors and pads for my 2015 Sport until I saw this post. You said you sent them back so my question is what did you end up going with in place of them?
You just need to ensure the brakes you get are for the heavy duty setup. The Sports and PIU all use larger rotors and pads.

I was going to go with the Power Stop Truck/Towing pads and drilled rotos. Not sure if the are any larger than the regular ones but I may just go ahead and change out calipers as well so there's no issues and so I can get the powder coated ones as I was planning on red caliper covers anyways. Brakes are in great shape now so no rush. Just one of those upgrades I'd like to do for piece of mind.

You just need to ensure the brakes you get are for the heavy duty setup. The Sports and PIU all use larger rotors and pads.
During the mid-year production of the 2013 explorer, all Explorers had the HD brakes installed.

Peter

During the mid-year production of the 2013 explorer, all Explorers had the HD brakes installed.

Peter
Correct, but it's easy to find rotors that state they fit the heavy duty setup but are the standard ones. For example, I bought a 14 sport and someone put on the standard duty rotors on the front while leaving the original pads on. About a half inch of the outer part of the pads never made contact with the rotors. Also, the brake dust shield was very visible when I first bought it.

Just throwing it out there that one needs to ensure the brake rotors are the correct ones made for the heavy duty setup. 352MM rotors up front are what you would want for the HD setup.

Sorry for the slow response-
I went with Z36 performance and tow kit from power stop. Works well. I have towed a 6x12 Uhaul trailer packed to the gills three different weekends now and have no complaints. The initial bite and feel are both better than stock. Stops with authority!

I actually installed the Z37 "Top Cop" pads yesterday and love them so far. Haven't used them for tow yet but feeling their bite at high speed to a fast slow tells me they'll probably work just fine. Especially seeing as how it'd be very rare I'd be towing any type of large load anytime in the near future. That's if my damn little sister would stop trying to move every 6 months!

Back