• Register Today It's free!

Help settle an argument?

LUVITLO

Reaction score
City, State
Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Sport
Ok here's the deal. Was talking to my dad and I told him I'm glad I got a manual tranny in my 97 Explorer because the autos seemed to have issues. He said his 99 Explorer Limited was the 4.0 and auto.... I told him no it was the V8 and a whole different tranny. I looked online and found the base engine in the Limited was infact a 5.0 V8 but just to set my mind straight and my dad's increasingly forgetful memory was the 99 Limited even avalible with a 4.0?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most definitely, and probably more common than V8.

Thanks for the link now just gotta ask him if it was awd or 4x4 I can't remember which it was been a year.

He has to have some old paperwork from it around... Find the vin # and figure it out for sure.

Well it pulled his 74 Venture boat and when I drove his 2012 Tundra pullin it last year the Tundra was spinning in 2wd mode up the gravel levy cause the old boat is so heavy! Had to push the 4x4 to pull it out of the water on a concrete ramp lol. I doubt my little Ex Sport would even pull it out of the yard. These 4.0 are great on gas but lack on pulling power.

. These 4.0 are great on gas but lack on pulling power.
Perhaps he had the 4.0 SOHC motor. It has plenty of power to pull a boat.

Really?? I saw a Explorer on eBay with the SOHC and a 5 speed manual..... What are the advantages over my regular 4.0

Power and (arguably) fuel economy. For reliability and durability, the OHV has the SOHC beat, hands down.

Then I got the right engine lol I can borrow my dad's F150 or Tundra or my fathetinlaws f250 diesel if I need to pull more than my little Ex can handle. I perfer durable and reliable over a speedy powerhouse

Back