• Register Today It's free!

Help shifting and idling problems

ldhill99

Reaction score
City, State
Wellford. SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Limited
I have a 93 explorer ltd and I just replaced the motor because of cracked heads. When the new engine went in (a 94) the motor revved high in park the tach would read about 3000 rpm. The engine would idle down in drive but the tach would still read about 2500 rpm but the engine sounded normal . I took it for a test run and the tranny was shifting real hard. The first gear change would come around 35 mph and the next at 45 mph. Each shift in gears is real hard and before I changed the motor I had absolutely no tranny problems at all. Help Please

I guess I would first check that there is no vacuum leak. I would guess that because of the shifting issue and the engine RPM that the vacuum modulator vacuum line is not connected. Second I would check to make sure your throttle and kickdown linkages are not holding the throttle open slightly. As far as the transmission issues, again if the vacuum line to the modulator is not hooked up and/or the kickdown cable is not adjusted properly that could cause the strange shift.

Did you adjust the kickdown?

Back