Help - Starting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help - Starting

joelwc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Guys - need your help.... 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. 146K Miles, been reliable. Two issues with the truck not starting happened this week. Truck turns over fine, just does not crank. I had a spare fuel pump relay that I put in, and the truck started right up... ok so problem solved, right? No it did it again later in the week, same thing, cranking but not starting... Out of curiousity (or desperation) put the old relay back in, and started back up... really have no idea what it is.... Is the fuel pump bad, is something wrong electrically where when the relay gets warm/hot it does not work? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

well i doubt its the relay since why would a brand new one have the same results. either your fuel pump is intermittenly failing (on the course of full fail), or your fuel pump shut off switch is failing

you can temporarly bypass the shut off switch by jumping the plug terminals and see if that works if not i think it may be you pump

oh and a far shot but it may be you pats pats will let the engine spin but wont supply fuel. check to see your theft light is not flashing rapidly when this issue happens

Back