!!!help!!! Timing Marks For 2002 Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

!!!help!!! Timing Marks For 2002 Ford Explorer

balonez23

Reaction score
City, State
waianae, HI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
!!HELP~! Timing Marks for 2002 Ford Explorer Aloha!
Does anyone know the timing marks for a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT. My mechanic is puzzled. He replaced 3 of the front timing chains, checked the the 4th one which is located in the back of the engine (he said the design of the engine is a POOR design) and when he put everything back together, it started and died off. He couldn't get it to start up again. To do so, he's going to have to take EVERYTHING OFF again and check the timing again. He said the headache part about it is that there are no timing marks. He told me that if it's even slightly off; the engine won't turn. He even compressed it and checked EVERYTHING else on my car like battery, spark plugs, he even made sure that the valves weren't damaged.
He's had my car going on the 4th week and I really need to get back so I can go to work. I'm catching the bus right now and running a bill up on labor costs.
Any help is appreciated!!!! Does anyone have a solution on how to ensure that my chains, cams (???), etc. are on correctly? I'm not too smart about cars. Please let me know. I am DESPERATE!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know the answer but the ones here that do will need to know if it is a V6 or V8. A Haynes manual should show this information.

It's a V6. Thank you, thank you, thank you for any help you can provide!!!!

4.0 L Timing

Timing Drive Components — Camshaft Timing

Special Service Tool(s)

Tensioner, Timing Chain
303–571 (T97T-6K254-A)

Extension, Torque Wrench
303–575 (T97T-6256-F)

Socket, Camshaft Sprocket Nut
303–565 (T97T-6256-G)

Holding Tool, Camshaft Sprocket
303–564 (T97T-6256-B)

Adapter for 303-564
303–578 (T97T-6256-A)

Holding Tool, Camshaft
303–577 (T97T-6256-C)

Timing Tool, Crankshaft TDC
303–573 (T97T-6303-A)

Adapter for 303-577
303–576 (T97T-6256-D)

1. Remove the valve covers. For additional information, refer to «Valve Cover RH» and «Valve Cover LH» in this section.

2. Remove the fuel supply manifold. For additional information, refer to «Section 303-04A».

3. Remove the accessory drive belt. For additional information, refer to «Section 303-05».

4. Remove the thermostat housing. For additional information, refer to «Section 303-03».

5. Remove the roller followers. For additional information, refer to «Roller Followers» in this section.

6. Note:
You must retime the LH and RH camshafts when either camshaft is disturbed.

Turn the crankshaft clockwise to position the number one cylinder at top dead center (TDC).

µ 7. Note:
The special tool must be installed on the damper and should contact the engine block, this positions the engine at TDC.

Install the special tool.

µ 8. CAUTION:
The right-hand camshaft sprocket bolt is a left-hand threaded bolt.

Using the special tool, loosen the RH camshaft sprocket bolt.

µ 9. Note:
The camshaft timing slots are off-center.

Position the camshaft timing slots below the centerline of the camshaft to correctly fit the special tools and install the special tools on the front of the RH cylinder head.

10. Remove the RH front wheel and tire. For additional information, refer to «Section 204-04».

µ 11. Remove the RH lower splash splash.

µ 12. Remove the RH camshaft tensioner.

13. Lower the vehicle.

µ 14. Note:
Leave the top two special tool clamp bolts loose.

Install the special tools on the rear of the RH cylinder head.

µ 15. Install the special tool.

µ 16. CAUTION:
The right-hand camshaft sprocket bolt is a left-hand threaded bolt.

Tighten the bolts.

1 Tighten the special tool top two clamp bolts to 10 Nm (89 lb-in).

2 Tighten the camshaft bolt.

µ 17. Remove the special tool.

µ 18. Install the RH camshaft tensioner.

19. Raise the vehicle.

µ 20. Install the RH lower splash shield.

21. Install the RH front wheel and tire. For additional information, refer to «Section 204-04».

22. Remove the special tools from the RH cylinder head.

µ 23. Remove the LH camshaft tensioner.

µ 24. Install the special tools on the front of the LH cylinder head and tighten the top two clamp bolts to 10 Nm (89 lb-in).

µ 25. Loosen the LH camshaft sprocket bolt.

26. Loosen the top two clamp bolts on the special tool to allow the camshaft sprocket to rotate freely.

µ 27. Note:
The camshaft timing slots are off-center.

Position the camshaft timing slots below the centerline of the camshaft to correctly fit the special tools, and install the special tools on the rear of the LH cylinder head.

µ 28. Install the special tool.

µ 29. Tighten the bolts.

1 Tighten the special tool top two clamp bolts to 10 Nm (89 lb-in).

2 Tighten the camshaft bolt.

µ 30. Remove the special tool.

µ 31. Install the LH camshaft tensioner.

32. Remove all of the special tools.

33. Install the roller followers. For additional information, refer to «Roller Followers» in this section.

34. Install the thermostat housing. For additional information, refer to «Section 303-03».

35. Install the accessory drive belt. For additional information, refer to «Section 303-05».

36. Install the fuel supply manifold. For additional information, refer to «Section 303-04A».

37. Install the valve covers. For additional information, refer to «Valve Cover LH» and «Valve Cover RH» in this section.

Camshaft Drive Cassette - Installing chains

Timing Drive Components — Camshaft Drive Cassette, LH

Removal

1. Remove the valve covers. For additional information, refer to «Valve Cover RH» and «Valve Cover LH» in this section.

2. Remove the fuel supply manifold. For additional information, refer to «Section 303-04A».

3. Remove the engine front cover. For additional information, refer to «Engine Front Cover» in this section.

4. Remove the thermostat housing. For additional information, refer to «Section 303-03».

5. Remove all of the roller followers. For additional information, refer to «Roller Followers» in this section.

6. Note:
You must retime the LH and RH camshafts when either camshaft is disturbed.

Turn the crankshaft clockwise to position the number one cylinder at TDC.

µ 7. Remove the LH camshaft chain tensioner.

µ 8. Remove the LH camshaft sprocket bolt.

l Install the special tools to hold the camshaft sprocket.

l Loosen but do not remove the bolt.

µ 9. Remove the tool and bolt.

µ 10. Hold the crankshaft from turning and loosen the jackshaft sprocket bolt.

µ 11. Remove the primary chain tensioner.

µ 12. Remove the primary chain and sprocket.

µ 13. Remove the camshaft drive cassette.

1 Remove the chain guide bolts.

2 Remove the sprockets.

3 Lift the chain and guide up and out of the cylinder head.

µ 14. Clean all surfaces. Clean all debris from the engine.

Installation

µ 1. Install the chain guide through the cylinder head.

µ 2. Install the chain.

µ 3. Install the chain guide bolts.

µ 4. Note:
The camshaft chain sprockets must be oriented correctly.

Install the lower chain sprocket and the camshaft sprocket.

µ 5. Install, but do not tighten the camshaft sprocket bolt.

µ 6. Install the primary chain and gear.

µ 7. Install the primary drive chain tensioner.

µ 8. Hold the crankshaft from turning and tighten the jackshaft sprocket bolt in two stages.

l Stage 1: Tighten the bolt to 45 Nm (33 lb-ft).

l Stage 2: Tighten the bolt an additional 90 degrees.

9. Time the engine. For additional information, refer to «Timing Drive Components—Camshaft Timing» in this section.

10. Install the engine front cover. For additional information, refer to «Engine Front Cover» in this section.

from what my hanes manual states there are timing marks.
set the crank on tdc with keyway up,then install a special crank holding tool. install the camshft holding tool on the rear of the left cam(the cam has an alignment mark on it and so does the tool) line up the timing marks and tighten tool to hold cam in position. the right cam holding tool goes on the front of the cam, also has the timing marks on it. seems very simple with the tools.

also you must have a 4x4, the reason i say this is there are only 2 chains in the front of the motor for 2 wheel drive , and 3 chains in front for the 4x4 model

:exp::exp:
!!HELP~! Timing Marks for 2002 Ford Explorer Aloha!
Does anyone know the timing marks for a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT. My mechanic is puzzled. He replaced 3 of the front timing chains, checked the the 4th one which is located in the back of the engine (he said the design of the engine is a POOR design) and when he put everything back together, it started and died off. He couldn't get it to start up again. To do so, he's going to have to take EVERYTHING OFF again and check the timing again. He said the headache part about it is that there are no timing marks. He told me that if it's even slightly off; the engine won't turn. He even compressed it and checked EVERYTHING else on my car like battery, spark plugs, he even made sure that the valves weren't damaged.
He's had my car going on the 4th week and I really need to get back so I can go to work. I'm catching the bus right now and running a bill up on labor costs.
Any help is appreciated!!!! Does anyone have a solution on how to ensure that my chains, cams (???), etc. are on correctly? I'm not too smart about cars. Please let me know. I am DESPERATE!!!

4 weeks for timing chain replacement, time to find a new mechanic. There is a special tool that fits on the end of the cam. Sears sells the whole kit of "special tools" for this type engine including the timing tools. Any decent mechanic with proper manuals should have known this.

Back