Help transmission driving in N and no reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help transmission driving in N and no reverse

DeerUSMC

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer
i own a 2000 Ford Explorer Sport with a 4.0 v6 sohc motor, rear wheel drive 2x4. automatic. Recently it was towed on a dolley from florida to west virginia. 128,000 miles. Having a problem with it going into gear. It works in Drive, 2nd, and 1st. When set into neutral it continues to drive forward. When set in reverse, it sometimes drives forward, but most commonly stands still, but acts as though it wants to move. When motor is turned off in neutral it will roll backwards and forwards again and rolls backwards in reverse as well when the motor is off. Fluids and everything were just replaced. Oil is new. Just switched to full synthetic. She stops idling and cuts off when in reverse. Recent new fuel pump. Could someone please help with some advice on what may be happening. Also the transmission and motor do not make any metallic noises and no audible pops anywhere. No fluid leaks. fluid levels are all up to standards.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dolly towing with the drive shaft in place means you are spinning the trans, but the pump isn't spinning so there is no lubrication. Time for a trans rebuild.

All Rear Wheel Drive (RWD) vehicles
This applies to all cars and 4x2 trucks/sport utilities with rear wheel drive capability.

An example of recreational towing is towing your vehicle behind a Motorhome.
The following recreational towing guidelines are designed to ensure that your transmission is not damaged.

• Place the transmission in N (Neutral).
• Maximum speed is 56 km/h (35 mph).
• Maximum distance is 80 km (50 miles).

If a distance of 80 km (50 miles) or a speed of 56 km/h (35 mph) must be exceeded, you must disconnect the driveshaft.

2000 Owners Manual (Pages 187-188)
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/00expog1e.pdf

Wow - what a way to find that out!
Sorry to hear that. Hope its not too costly . . .

Same thing happened to my Ranger. Truck never saw a tow dolly or tow truck in the 35,000 miles that I drove it before the transmission decided to rearrange the shift order to PNDD21.

This is what I found when I did a fluid and filter change and opened up the transmission filter:

9nry_zps26d8965b.jpg

0zvq_zps03c2f232.jpg

87s8_zps1fa5fe73.jpg

At this point I realized the transmission was contaminated with debris, and would only get worse if not rebuilt. I had previously found out some shoddy work was done on the transmission before I bought the truck, which may or may not have caused this failure.

I never bothered to rebuild the automatic, I just decided to swap a manual transmission into my truck and be done with transmission issues.

Back