Help-Truck is making a horrible noise. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help-Truck is making a horrible noise.

Vishnoff

Reaction score
City, State
Springvale, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
98, XLT
Ok so my truck is making a horrible noise. Its a rotational noise coming from the drivers side wheel weel/wheels. Sounds kind of like a scrapping noise, happens repeatedly when the truck is moving, faster I go the faster the noise happens. When i apply the brakes the noise decreases and goes away. When the truck is put in reverse there is no noise. I thought it might have been my rotors and pads, since when I manuelly turned the wheel, it was hard to turn at one spot (a high spot on the rotor?). So I replaced the rotors yesterday and kept the pads (still way more than 60% material left on them). The dust shield is not touching anything, and everything else looks great.
Now I have just done a huge amount of work on this truck in the last 6 months - Shocks (front driver adn passanger), lower ball joints (front driver and passanger), wheel bearings (front driver and passanger), CV joint (driver side), new tires all around, rear spring shackles and just replaced my rotors yesterday.

This noise has not affected my driving/braking or performance, but I am worried since the vehicle does not normally make this noise.
If anyone has any idea about what this annoying, evil noise could be, please, oh please let me know.

Ok so my truck is making a horrible noise. Its a rotational noise coming from the drivers side wheel weel/wheels. Sounds kind of like a scrapping noise, happens repeatedly when the truck is moving, faster I go the faster the noise happens. When i apply the brakes the noise decreases and goes away. When the truck is put in reverse there is no noise. I thought it might have been my rotors and pads, since when I manuelly turned the wheel, it was hard to turn at one spot (a high spot on the rotor?). So I replaced the rotors yesterday and kept the pads (still way more than 60% material left on them). The dust shield is not touching anything, and everything else looks great.
Now I have just done a huge amount of work on this truck in the last 6 months - Shocks (front driver adn passanger), lower ball joints (front driver and passanger), wheel bearings (front driver and passanger), CV joint (driver side), new tires all around, rear spring shackles and just replaced my rotors yesterday.

This noise has not affected my driving/braking or performance, but I am worried since the vehicle does not normally make this noise.
If anyone has any idea about what this annoying, evil noise could be, please, oh please let me know.

maybe a 'new' wheel bearing is bad. Do you hear anything when you turn the wheel when the truck is lifted? Does the sound change if you make a hard left or right turn?

I don't think itshe wheel bearing. The noise it currently makes is way different from the "bad wheel bearing" noise.

Let me give you alittle history on the work thats been done. First the wheel bearing went (tire ready to fall off) and both bearing were replaced (passanger side was bad too). The aboiut a week later the truck made horrible nosies when making left turns. Replaced the cv joint (wheel bearing felt fine, spun freely, etc.) After that the truck started making its most current noise.

With the vehicle jacked up, i spun the tires by had and I could feel the tire "catching" on something. I inspected the rotor and saw no out of the ordinary signs of wear, or damage. The pads still looked good. I replaced the rotors since they were to far gone to turn. There is now no "catch" when I turn the wheels, but the truck still makes this noise.

Hit me with more questions or ideas, because i am at my wits end.

I don't think itshe wheel bearing. The noise it currently makes is way different from the "bad wheel bearing" noise.

Let me give you alittle history on the work thats been done. First the wheel bearing went (tire ready to fall off) and both bearing were replaced (passanger side was bad too). The aboiut a week later the truck made horrible nosies when making left turns. Replaced the cv joint (wheel bearing felt fine, spun freely, etc.) After that the truck started making its most current noise.

With the vehicle jacked up, i spun the tires by had and I could feel the tire "catching" on something. I inspected the rotor and saw no out of the ordinary signs of wear, or damage. The pads still looked good. I replaced the rotors since they were to far gone to turn. There is now no "catch" when I turn the wheels, but the truck still makes this noise.

Hit me with more questions or ideas, because i am at my wits end.

Assuming you eliminated brake, bearing...

I would still take the brake caliper and rotor off to see if there is a difference, spin the tire.

So when you turn the wheel now by hand there are sounds? Or only when you drive? Maybe a stethoscope will help?

The CV joint was a new one right? Maybe it is something in the differential? The next thing I would say is to pop a CV joint out, put it aside and spin the wheel (DO NOT DRIVE WITH THE CV off).

Back