only start my sport trac 2 times a month and it makes a horrible noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

only start my sport trac 2 times a month and it makes a horrible noise

mxl4729

Reaction score
City, State
keyport, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer sport trac
I only use my 2003 sport trac for a part time job. which means i only start it once maybe 2 times a month. When i do start it it makes a horrible noise like the cam chain is slapping around and all sorts of other noises for about 2 seconds and then it quites out.

If i start it again that say or the next day it does not make this noise.

So i believe it is do to lack or oil pressure when i first start it or from all the oil that should be on parts draining away.

My question is anyone else have this problem. has anyone ever done anything to fix this issue?

I did find this Accusump Oil Accumulator ( http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/CantonAccusumpOilAccumulators/Accusump2) and am pondering buying it. just want to know if this will fix it or if anyone else has added something like this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hard to say without being able to actually hear it, but I would check the tensioner pulley and alternator first.

Does anyone know what the port size on the oil pressure sending unit is?

my problem is only when the truck sits. I am almost sure its an oil preasure thing. I think i am going to add the Accusump Oil Accumulator.

it says in the instructions

Connecting directly into an engines oil passages
Many engines come standard with a threaded port into the oil gallery. Assistance from an engine builder familiar with
the engine block can be very helpful in determining if one exists in your engine. Some blocks will require drilling and
tapping. The preferred port size is 1/2" N.P.T., however, 3/8" N.P.T. is acceptable

no idea what the oil presure fitting is. is there any other oil ports on this motor that people know about???

i did find that post and read it already.

the one part i need info (filter adapter) he reused from an old project and gave no info on it.

does anyone have any idea what filter a 2003 ford explorer sport trac uses?

• 3⁄4" x 16 thread
• 13⁄16" x 16 thread
• 18 mm x 1.5 mm thread
•20 mm x 1.5 mm thread

Back