HELP!Where is the tranny pan drain? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP!Where is the tranny pan drain?

mcgaskins

Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
I am changing out some of the fluid in the tranny of a 93 explorer 4x4. Problem is, I can't find the drain plug. Can anyone tell me where it is in relation to something else? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey mcgaskins, I noticed your in Littleton too! Very cool! Theres a few of us around!
As for the tranny pan, you probably DONT have a drain plug. You basically have to lower the pan and let the fluid come out with the pan. If you take the bolts starting on one side it will make it much easier, that way you can at least somewhat control where the fluid goes instead of getting 10 quarts or whatever it is all over your driveway :).

I don't think there is one.. my X doesn't have one.. the only way to change the fluid is to drop the pan...
here's a thread about putting a drain plug in..

[edit}

forgot to include the url..
Dead Link Removed

Originally posted by mattadams
hey mcgaskins, I noticed your in Littleton too! Very cool! Theres a few of us around!
As for the tranny pan, you probably DONT have a drain plug. You basically have to lower the pan and let the fluid come out with the pan. If you take the bolts starting on one side it will make it much easier, that way you can at least somewhat control where the fluid goes instead of getting 10 quarts or whatever it is all over your driveway :).

Well, I am actaully not an X guy any more. I got rid of mine about a year ago. I am however an XJ guy. I have just been trying to work on a friends X for her while she is out of town. Here is a pic of my ride now at spring creek.
10474292-a686-028001E0-.gif

My 91 has one on the passenger side of the transmission, DRAIN is cast in the case.

I suggest you change the filter as well if you drop the pan.:D

Another way to do a complete fluid change is to have a Jiffy Lube type place do a flush/fill.

Good luck......

Originally posted by aldive
Another way to do a complete fluid change is to have a Jiffy Lube type place do a flush/fill.

Good luck......

the full flush is good, but the filter should be replaced also....

and if you have an AUTOMATIC tranny you dont have a drain plug... only manuals have the drain plug

Originally posted by jimabena74

if you have an AUTOMATIC tranny you dont have a drain plug... only manuals have the drain plug

I was fixing to type the same thing but you beat me to it. :D

Back