• Register Today It's free!

Transmision Pan Drain Plug

kumaxlt

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Im going to add a transmission pan drain plug and was thinking that it would be nice to drill a 1/4 or 3/8 inch whole before removing the pan. This allow me to drain the pan prior to removal and save me from wearing 4 qts of fluid on my upper body:) Can anyone tell me where they have placed thier drain plug. I woiuld like to know as to ensure I have clearence from the filter and plug. The only access I have is from the bottom or possibly the rear of the pan prior to removal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd not be drilling the pan while it is installed. You are awfully close to the valve body and wiring harness of the other side. Wait til it is out.

I put mine dead center of the bottom most "lump" but I couldn't remember if theres anything close behind that. I'd wear it one last time rather than have to install something else while your in there.

take it off and drill it.. there is no other option... you can way too easily damage the innards and also get shavings in the tranny, the tranny sucks enough on its own and doenst need shavings from the pan to make it fail faster

The SE brain trust has spoken, listen to them

Thanks everyone - your concerns are valid and I look forward to wearing those 4 qts!!

Look at it this way.... you skin will be soft, your hair will have a nice reddish glow for a few days, and be so much more manageable.

Gee thanks for the reminder of the oil bath I am about to receive.. LOL I get to change out my A4LD This weekend. I lost second gear in the one currently bolted into my X

Well the good news is, my driveway could have been worse - the bad news is - I was wearing most of what could have been on the driveway! I am glad the the drain plug was recommended - it is definitely worth the $5 bucks and a few minutes to install. Also, anyone who has never done the tran pan thing before - I recommend removing the entire front drive shaft unless you are taking one of the other approaches...

Back