HELP!! Wife just called, 93 X won't start and hood won't open | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP!! Wife just called, 93 X won't start and hood won't open

shadowless127

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 EB AWD 5.0
So my wife just called me and told me the 93 X won't start. She left home, drove for about 15min, stopped at 7-11 and went out to start it to leave and it won't start, has no power. So I figure it's the battery, no problem we have a jump box at the house. HOWEVER, we cannot get the hood open. I went to put some windshield washer fluid this weekend and noticed I cant open the hood, it seems to be jammed.

What's the best way to circumvent this issue, crowbar?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try pushing down on the hood or pulling up on it as you pull on the latch lever. Sometimes it just needs a bit more force.

they got it open, my dumbass friend reversed the jumper cables tho so a little fire broke out, no damage tho.

me thinks the alternator is going on the X

better hope nothing burnt up in the electrical by hooking them up wrong

So my question is how did they finally get the hood opened?
Posted via Mobile Device

When you hot shot a car with backwards cables, you can fry computer components on both cars.

The X is fine, I ran it through it's paces when I got home and it runs just as ****ty as it did before. My friend's Santa fe got some minor damage, the headlight cover melted pretty nicely, and the cables are toast.

The funny part is my friend used to be a car salesman, so it's not like he's an idiot, he just had a sr. moment lol.

As far as the hood, because my wife was stuck at a 7-11, a bunch of mechanics came over and got it open, we then sprayed the latch down with WD-40 and all seems to be good now.

I just want 3G's so I can pick up this nice Black 98 5.0 Mounty w/ 99K miles that's for sale at one of the used car lots about 25min away.

I took my hood latch assy. off once on my 92, didnt know it was "moveable" so i cleaned it, and put it back on, (not knowing you could move the whole thing up or down) and tightened it up, then closed the hood, and noticed, let alone from dropping it hard, i had to throw it down to get it to latch, so I was like wtf? and I went to pull the lever to open it, and that lever would not budge, I had to have my (hefty) friend sit on the hood while i yanked at that damn lever, then I moved the assy. back up a little, and it was good

I had a mishap like that once IN MY HOUSE, messing around with a car stereo and a battery, I only had red wires, so the ground, constant, and ignition were all red, I put the constant and ground to the + on the batt, then the ignition (rem) wire to the ground, and when I pressed the on button....WOAH boy my room filled with smoke from the wires burning off the insulation within about 5 seconds, the wires were glowing red, I freaked and horribly burnt my hand by grabbing and trying to yank the wire out....ahhh makes me cringe just talking about it lol

I took my hood latch assy. off once on my 92, didnt know it was "moveable" so i cleaned it, and put it back on, (not knowing you could move the whole thing up or down) and tightened it up, then closed the hood, and noticed, let alone from dropping it hard, i had to throw it down to get it to latch, so I was like wtf? and I went to pull the lever to open it, and that lever would not budge, I had to have my (hefty) friend sit on the hood while i yanked at that damn lever, then I moved the assy. back up a little, and it was good

I had a mishap like that once IN MY HOUSE, messing around with a car stereo and a battery, I only had red wires, so the ground, constant, and ignition were all red, I put the constant and ground to the + on the batt, then the ignition (rem) wire to the ground, and when I pressed the on button....WOAH boy my room filled with smoke from the wires burning off the insulation within about 5 seconds, the wires were glowing red, I freaked and horribly burnt my hand by grabbing and trying to yank the wire out....ahhh makes me cringe just talking about it lol

damn dude!!

We just sprayed the latch with WD-40 and it's been fine.

hood stuck and the battery is dead!

i soaked mine with wd-40 and am hoping it will loosen up but it seems like there is a lot of slack on the cable release. i haven't tried sitting on the yet but am considering getting a little wrench and try to remove the 2 little bolts that hole the thing in place. the Haynes repair manual doesn't give you much guidance as to how to get the thing open when it's stuck.so if anyone has got any other ideas that i could try without having to get those little bolts out - i appreciate hearing from you

If sitting on it does not work then it's probably done for, especially if there is slack in the cable. If you have to break something to get to it, cutting a bar out of the grille is probably the least damaging, and is easily replaced later.

Back