Help with ABS Control Module Nightmare!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with ABS Control Module Nightmare!!

FHP89LX

Reaction score
City, State
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mercury Mountaineer
Hi guys, for more than 1 year I have been driving with the Service RSC now, abs light, traction control and abs light on and not to mention the dreaded sound when the Service RSC comes on. Well, I was finally able to find a used ABS model with the pump attached to it.
I was looking into doing the repairs myself since it's very easy to remove. I also know I can pull the information from my original abs module to program it to the replacement I bought.

So here is what I need to know. What software do I need for my laptop to program my VIN and old ABS module information to the new ABS module I will be installing.
Is it Forscan with the OBD2 dongle?
I heard about IDS but is it free to download?
And if it's IDS, what do I need to use IDS and where can I find what I need.

Over one year driving with this damm annoying Service RSC now on my dash is driving me crazy but Ford wants $$ $, Even local shops here what over $1,400 to repair.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi guys, for more than 1 year I have been driving with the Service RSC now, abs light, traction control and abs light on and not to mention the dreaded sound when the Service RSC comes on. Well, I was finally able to find a used ABS model with the pump attached to it.
I was looking into doing the repairs myself since it's very easy to remove. I also know I can pull the information from my original abs module to program it to the replacement I bought.

So here is what I need to know. What software do I need for my laptop to program my VIN and old ABS module information to the new ABS module I will be installing.
Is it Forscan with the OBD2 dongle?
I heard about IDS but is it free to download?
And if it's IDS, what do I need to use IDS and where can I find what I need.

Over one year driving with this damm annoying Service RSC now on my dash is driving me crazy but Ford wants $$ $, Even local shops here what over $1,400 to repair.
@FHP89LX
Same problem, almost a year, too, but bad Throttle Body at the same time, I got shut down by "Forced Engine Idle" several times, "Forced Limited Power" many times. Ordered a used ABS Module, had to have identical numbers as mine. The only info needed to be downloaded is VIN, without that, ABS light constantly on, throwing code "VIN Mismatch". ABS works normally. No one seemed certain that Forscan could download the VIN, I have not inquired of Ford for price. The age of the vehicle now precludes pouring money into needs to assure resale or trade-in. First thing the Honcho at a dealership does is turn key to ON, observes prove-out of all icons. Any light stays on, he may halve his offer....maybe make NO offer. imp

**Update** I got everything fixed. I was able to find a abs module/pump online for a good price. I installed the part with a friend of mine and bleed the brakes the old fashion way. Fortunately for me, I have a friend that works at Ford and he programmed the module with my VIN for free. The abs module/pump I purchased was from a 2009 Explorer

**Update** I got everything fixed. I was able to find a abs module/pump online for a good price. I installed the part with a friend of mine and bleed the brakes the old fashion way. Fortunately for me, I have a friend that works at Ford and he programmed the module with my VIN for free. The abs module/pump I purchased was from a 2009 Explorer
@FHP89LX
That is great news! Thanks for sharing. I wonder if you were present when the Module was configured with you VIN? Is it a quick and easy thing? imp

I was waiting in the waiting room while my buddy programmed the module with my vin#. It took about 15 minutes. Installing the abs pump with module was super easy, just be careful with the brake lines. I bent one that goes from the pump to the master cylinder and got one at the junkyard.

@FHP89LX dear I am having the same issue in my Ford Explorer 2010 V6. I am from Dubai so first, I will try to find a spare ABS Module. I want to know how hard is it to replace module myself since I m not a mechanic. The second thing is u mentioned ur friend programmed it so can u get some info steps on how to setup Vin number or any other required configuration into the module and what OBD and software are required?

Yesterday I had a detail checked by a mechanic for all 4 sensors for ABS but all 4 were fine.

@FHP89LX
That is great news! Thanks for sharing. I wonder if you were present when the Module was configured with you VIN? Is it a quick and easy thing? imp

I was in the Ford waiting room but yes, the VIN was configured to the module. The Ford tech is a friend of mine. It was a 20 min job, maybe quicker.

@FHP89LX dear I am having the same issue in my Ford Explorer 2010 V6. I am from Dubai so first, I will try to find a spare ABS Module. I want to know how hard is it to replace module myself since I m not a mechanic. The second thing is u mentioned ur friend programmed it so can u get some info steps on how to setup Vin number or any other required configuration into the module and what OBD and software are required?

Yesterday I had a detail checked by a mechanic for all 4 sensors for ABS but all 4 were fine.
The job is not hard. Go under the vehicle and you will see two bolts holding the ABS pump and also a 3rd bolt I think above it. You will need to remove the brake lines that are attached to the pump. Be very careful with them. You will still be able to drive the car. To program your VIN, either have Ford do it or download Forscan and do it yourself. Search that on these forums on how to do it. You might find better advice than what I gave you. Good luck.

i needed to replace my cluster so i found a cluster wouldn't run so i replaced the pcm then abs module missmatch so i replaced the pump and module i dont care what anyone said... its not an easy job and a few steps past nightmare maybe easier with a lift but weeks later i found a simple button on forscan that would have saved me all that time.... if i had to compair the job its up there with that horrible design placement of the fuel filter

Back