help with black wire in driver door jamb and component under dash | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

help with black wire in driver door jamb and component under dash

drdoug

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT. Stock.
Hello everyone,

I picked up a 96 EB explorer for 800 bucks and so far Ive been focusing on the leak(s) from under ? the dash..

I found a wire that was cut and it might run into this speaker looking thing that is under the dash behind the e brake near left foot.

I started with the moon roof because it wouldn't close. After climbing up there I found a used hypodermic syringe jammed in the housing and blocking the moon roof from closing all the way. I poured water in there and it drained nicely. No water on driver floor. So climbing under the dash I see a few things.A black wire leading to nowhere and this black box. You might also notice the rust on the firewall so I can imagine there is a seal allowing moisture through from engine compartment.

I have poured a lot of water into the cowls and down the windshield but I cannot recreate the water leak on the driver floor. I will drive it through a carwash and see what happens then.

The alarm works well so I am at a loss for the wire and " speaker ?" thing..

anyone know what these are for ? please see attached files.

Happy holidays !

IMG_8108.jpg

IMG_8078.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did it have a CB?

What Craigerz said. That is a external speaker for a communications radio (CB, Ham, etc). You can take it out since it seems the PO was too lazy to remove it.

Is your brake master cylinder leaking into the booster?

It looks like rust is forming around the booster seal so get a hose and spray some water around the booster to see if its coming in the cab, or look for brake fluid. There are only 4 nuts holding the booster to the firewall. With all the rust showing, it needs to be removed and the firewall painted, then resealed.

Non OE speaker. Loose it.

Did it have a CB?
I suspect it did have a CB at one time. There is a spot on the hood where it looks like it had something mounted to it as well. I suspected a municipal vehicle at least. As far as the brake fluid theory. The bottom half of the booster is rusty. There is a hole in the hood liner directly above the booster as well. Haha that was a head scratcher. I could not figure out why that was worn right away.its late but I’ll post a pic soon. Brake fluid is caustic I know that much. I think you nailed it. I will update for brake fluid leak. Thank you very much.

Now you got me thinking. Is there a hole in the firewall where an antenna cable used to go that is allowing water in?

Now you got me thinking. Is there a hole in the firewall where an antenna cable used to go that is allowing water in?

It's possible.

Back