help with factory wiring harness

williecume

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt & 98 mounti
help with factory wiring harness

i was able to get a factory radio wiring harness out of a 99 ranger. i am trying to install into a 97 explorer and have a one or two question about the wire color and what it goes to.

i know what these wires go to:

black and black green----ground
light blue/red---dimmer
light green/purple---constant 12+v
yellow/black---switched 12+v

light blue/white---left door speaker
orange/light green---left door speaker

dark green/orange---right door speaker
white/light green---right door speaker

tan/yellow---left rear speaker
gray/light blue---left rear speaker

brown/pink---right rear speaker
orange/red---right rear speaker

red/black---????

not sure where to hook this up

any help would be grateful

haynes repair book didnt show it listed in the wiring diagram.

i searched install dr. and the diargram listed was in the ford/mercury diagram list but in the list is said gm?

does anybody happen to have a repair cd or a better diagram than what haynes has.

sorry for the long post.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this is so i can hook up a factory dual media unit into our explorer.

thanks

Well I'll tell ya that you're probably gonna have some problems besides wiring. The 98+ Ford head units have built in amps, while the 97- trucks have external amps (that you have to bypass when you put in an aftermarket HU). You'll probably need to bypass your factory amp for that new HU to work correctly.

However, as always, I could be wrong.

i dont think i have an external amp but i will check later today while installing an overhead console.

According to my Ford CD (for 98 Ranger) there is a "R/BK" wire described as "Hot in Start" . The contant 12V and the switched 12V are there too but this is something different. I too have this on my 98 Ex and never used it. The 16 pin metra wiring harness was empty in this position and I thought it was for an option I did not have. I suppose if you tested it it would provide a temporary 12 V during starting. Maybe its some sort of trigger for an auto antenna.

As far as I know the 98 and up radios with internal amps are obvious because they have a black heat sink on the back.

m.scott i appreciate the help. thats what i was thinking is that one wire might go to something else or might be doubled up for some reason. there are three ground wires comming off the harness (2 black/green and 1 black) if i remember correctly.

when i get home tonight i'm going to compare with my ranger and see if i can make it work.

once again thanks to those that helped with what they could.

Back