Help with finding a hood release cable replacement 2001 Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with finding a hood release cable replacement 2001 Explorer Sport

axplayer

Reaction score
City, State
Alexandria
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, Explorer Sport
I have a 2001 Explorer Sport SUV with a broken hood release cable and have a problem finding a replacement. Checking on line, I get conflicting answers regarding this issue. Some sites (Advance Auto) indicates Dorman #912-091 is a direct replacement, however according to a representative from Dorman, this part will not work with the Sport (unfortunately they do not have a direct replacement). I tried to find the OEM part # from Ford directly however it doesn't pull up anything. I realize that the front ends of the Sport and Sport trac are almost identical and tried looking for a cable replacement for a Sport Trac but the handle on the cable looked very different from the one that's in my SUV. If anyone can share some knowledge regarding this mystery, I would greatly appreciate it. BTW, I have been searching for an answer for a year now. I have held off in calling the dealership since I don't want to get fleeced. I hope I can get an idea of what my next steps should be from this forum.

Back