• Register Today It's free!

Help with Inner Tie rod

Homerexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT 4WD
I need some help troubleshooting/fixing what I think is my inner tie rod on the driver's side (as opposed to the rack). I've recently replaced the the hub assemblies, upper and lower ball joints, shocks, end links and outer tie rods. To my surprise I still have a slight clunk when I hit bumps. I rolled under the Explorer and grabbed the driver's side inner tie rod just short of the boot. I then pull forward and pushed back pretty hard to see if there was play. It does move back and forth ~1/16". My question is - Is this the correct way to check the inner tie rod? It didn't do this on the other side but I want to make sure it's not normal rack play (i wouldn't think so but...). I've tried grabbing the wheel at 3 & 9 but it's tough to isolate from the normal rack play. It shoudln't move front to back at all, should it?

If I assume that it is bad - How do I go about removing it? There is almost no room to get in there to remove the boot clamp or put a wrench on the tie rod. Are there any tricks to getting the tie rod off (I saw a previous link on using the tool, which I plan to use). I don't have to pull the rack, do I? Thanks for any advice.

If it moves, its bad. THey make a tool for getting in there. When I replaced mine, it was worth the 110 bucks to have some one else do it.

Back