• Register Today It's free!

Inner Tie Rod Replacement

exp999

Reaction score
City, State
rockland, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
I have steering play and clunking sound from the right side steering. Can verify by shaking the right front side of the explorer. Already replaced both outer tie rod arms and aligned wheels. (Bummer) Now I am pretty sure the right inner tie rod needs to be replaced.

Reviewed the great pics from Evan on how to replace inner tie rods but when I went under my 96 explorer I found there is no access for tools to access the tie rod. Is there a easy way to remove or do I visit my dealer? Sure would prefer to do the job myself.

http://i25.tinypic.com/2my97qb.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

there is a how to sticky i believe when i replaced my inner tierod i turned the wheel to puch the rod out further to get a wrench in there

not only do you turn the wheel out, but that accordian style boot has a clamp on it, take it off and slide the boot out on the tie rod, for removal,
after the boot is out near the outer rod there is a big nut on the end of the inner tie rod,

not only do you turn the wheel out, but that accordian style boot has a clamp on it, take it off and slide the boot out on the tie rod, for removal,
after the boot is out near the outer rod there is a big nut on the end of the inner tie rod,

Back